Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Diaper Chatter and Q & A (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Wash Routine Q's :0) (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=944953)

Momma2CuddleBugs 03-09-2010 07:07 AM

Wash Routine Q's :0)

Good morning! I'm have issues with ammonia stink in my 20 month old. I've tried all different diapers, different detergents, etc and he keeps waking up with horrible ammonia stinks and a bad rash sometimes. This is getting old and I don't want my little guy hurting!! I'm feeling like I might just be stuck using sposies at night -- and I don't want to do that :yuck:

Right now, I'm washing about every other day (I could go much longer, but the longer I go, the worse the stink is) using Thirsties Pre-wash/super wash...this was recommended to me by someone who said its been great for people like me that consistently have issues with ammonia stink. My routine is cold rinse, short cold wash with the prewash, hot heavy wash with the superwash, then an extra rinse. I use the amount of wash they recommend, on a large wash setting with about 18 diapers and assorted wipes.

Am I washing too many diapers at once? Its a mix of fitteds with inserts (mostly goodmamas and mutts, a few WAHM mixed in), some small fuzzibunz with inserts, and grobabys (usually a couple shells and 3 or 4 inserts).

For a while, we were doing great with the GroBabys at night, then the stink came back. Then we started using the Thirsties wash and it was great for about 2 weeks, then the stink came back. He did a little better with fitteds and wool -- still had stink in the morning, but no rash. What am I doing wrong?? Do I need to rinse every diaper before it goes in the wetbag? I'm kind of at my whits end. We've tried stripping many times to no avail. I'm very open to any suggestions that anyone has.

Also, any suggestions for CD safe butt creams that will really help sooth his skin from ammonia burn? The only thing that seems to help now is bacitracin ointment with a sposie. Thanks so much for reading and taking the time to help me!

Queen_Celeste 03-09-2010 07:13 AM

Re: Wash Routine Q's :0)

In my experience, detergent success is really based on your water and your washing machine. I have a top loader and very hard water. I tried countless different detergents (even the 'not safe' ones) when I was combating the stinkies. I even tried adding all sorts of things to the wash. My only solution was to wash diapers for 3 full cycles, then extra rinses if I had a hope of not having stinky diapers. And yes, that was totally ridiculous. I heard lots of good things about Rockin Green and after trying everything I could find with free chipping, I ordered some. I did a prewash, then filled the washer with hot and let the diapers sit for about an hour soaking. Then I rinsed and did the sniff test. They smelled fine. I did a second rinse and threw them in the dryer. I think it took 2-3 soaks to get things completely soft and not stinky (even the nighttime diapers), but now I can actually wash with the recommended: rinse, wash hot, rinse twice and it works.

Your mileage may vary, but it works for me. I was at the point I was going to toss all my inserts and buy new ones, so this saved me lots of $.

MommaToBubandCJ 03-09-2010 07:18 AM

Vinegar works for me. Here's my routine:

cold wash with vinegar (I put it in a Downy ball and fill to the medium line)
hot wash with Rockin' Green
extra rinse

Since I've added the vinegar to the routine, the ammonia stink is gone. I know vinegar isn't recommended b/c it's harder on the elastic, but I'd rather have diapers with no stink and no rash issues than to have the elastic last a little longer.

mamatothree 03-09-2010 07:31 AM

Thank you for doing this poll. I am having the same issue. I use vinegar in a cold wash, entire cycle. Then I do a hot wash with free & clear det and borax. I wash every other day and my baby has real stinky dipes and rash. Doc says its yeast infection. I just got a recipe for a wash booster that Im gonna try. I'll let you know how it works.

blossomgoat 03-09-2010 07:37 AM

8-16 per load, small to medium water level. I have a Very large top-loader.

wfiles 03-09-2010 07:41 AM

I add a little bleach once a month a my diapers no longer stink. I use BG and gro baby's. I only bleach the GB inserts, not the shells. HTH

MotherKate 03-09-2010 07:44 AM

Great question! thanks for asking. I am fighting the stinkies now. I have a super soaker, and we have a front loader... I've got some Rockin Green on order - I'm hoping that stripping my pockets with the RG will help. I've already switched to their recommended washing routine for my machine... :headscratch:

I like the vinegar idea... Keep them coming! :)

SwaddleBums 03-09-2010 07:48 AM

I have a super large top loader it is usually filled halfway or a little more with diapers and I let it run as a full load because you need the water to rinse it all out.

Warm wash cold rinse
detergent - full cup
downy ball with vinegar
oxyclean

I toss it all in as it fills with water and let it run, then dry on high with dryer balls.

not complicated at all... very simple and they get clean. I wash every day to every other day.. my dipes never sit longer than that.

HTH

diapermommy 03-09-2010 07:50 AM

with my older boy who wets at night, we didn't have the stinkies but he would complain about his "tinkle" hurting. I never got anything to work so now he's in 7th gen pull ups at night.

My newly pl'd dd had stinkies really bad. I depise fl'd washers and I will never purchase one. (we rent and the house came with one) On mine I can't set the water level. it says it does it depending on how much is in the washer but nothing I did even adding a towel got that water level to go up. So finally I had to start washing dipes every night, usually 5or6 dipes. I did an overnight soak with vinegar, then hot wash, cold rinse. They have to have enough water to wash correctly. I NEVER NEVER had any stink what so ever with my tl'd.

MammaBearsDen 03-09-2010 08:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MommaToBubandCJ (Post 9764592)
Vinegar works for me. Here's my routine:

cold wash with vinegar (I put it in a Downy ball and fill to the medium line)
hot wash with Rockin' Green
extra rinse

Since I've added the vinegar to the routine, the ammonia stink is gone. I know vinegar isn't recommended b/c it's harder on the elastic, but I'd rather have diapers with no stink and no rash issues than to have the elastic last a little longer.

That's the same as my wash routine pretty much and my kids are some super wetters. This has worked really well for us though. I also put baking soda into the cold wash as well. I started using the vinegar for hard water, but it's helped cut the smell too.

Good luck!:thumbsup: