Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Opinions on how far to space kids apart... (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=946219)

browneyeNYmomma 03-11-2010 07:17 AM

Opinions on how far to space kids apart...

DD is 6mo...I'm thinking I would like to TTC very soon that way they are very close in age! DH would rather have more time between them. Our plan, currently, is to only have 2 (as long as things go as planned!). Am I rushing things and does DH know best???

What is your opinion on how far apart kids should be spaced? What has been your experience? Has it worked very well or would you have done it differently had you known then what you know now? What are the pros and cons?

maddies.mom 03-11-2010 07:37 AM

Re: Opinions on how far to space kids apart...

my dd is 9 mo and we are going to "no longer prevent" once she turns a year - my hope is to have them somewhere around 2 yrs apart... I originally said we'd start when she turned 6mo... but wasn't quite ready to be preggo at that point; and now that she is just starting to sttn... I'm starting to think about it more!!

lanwenyi 03-11-2010 07:47 AM

I wanted our kids 18-24 mths apart b/c my sibs and I were 3 yrs apart and we were never able to play together. Less than 18mths would have been too hard on my body (pg and I don't get along). DH wanted more spacing (he has 5 yrs between his sib and him), but was willing. Our 2 are 22 mths apart and it's perfect. They are already starting to play together. DD also PLed right after DS was born, so I only had 2 in dipes for a very short time.

bridget222 03-11-2010 07:47 AM

There is 6 years between my oldest and my 2nd and although they get along pretty good I wouldn't recommend that much space. They are not always interested in the same things and it ends up making my oldest feel left out. There is 27 months between my 2nd and my 3rd which has worked our great. They play well together...although they do have there arguments. And when my 3rd was a baby my 2nd was old enough to be my "Big Boy" helper...instead of if he was younger...he may have still wanted to be "the baby".

We liked that space so much that I am pregnant again and as long as everything goes as planned there will be about 30 months between my 3rd and 4th. Good luck deciding....every family is different and there is no perfect time to have another baby...just go with what works for you and your spouse.

malaynasmommy 03-11-2010 07:49 AM

We got pregnant with DD #2 when DD #1 was 6 months old. I LOVE the spacing between them. Oldest DD handled it so well and never had any jealousy issues. We got pregnant With DS when DD #2 was 1 and the spacing between them has been MUCH harder. Youngest DD is very jealous and hasn't handled the transition as well. Oldest DD has done well both time. So if I had to do it over again I would have less than 18 months or more than 3 years age gap. That in between stage is rough, at least for me lol.

Leighleighbuggy 03-11-2010 07:51 AM

My first two are 13 months apart. That actually worked out really well. I was nervous about it, but they are the best of friends. It was difficult the first 3 months or so, but after that a breeze. My third is due in April, and there will be 2 yrs between him and my 2nd. There will be 3 yrs between him and my 1st. I hope they will all still play well together!

mommyatlast 03-11-2010 07:58 AM

Unfortunately, I have learned that planning anything when it comes to conceiving doesn't always work out. At least not for us. We wanted a houseful of children. It took us 4 years to conceive our son, and we started trying again as soon as the dr. gave us the go ahead. Still not pregnant, so we've given up on the dream of what we thought we wanted. We are loving every minute with our little boy, and we will be ecstatic if God gives us another child. I say hooray for anyone who is able to space their children how they desire. Best of luck in your decision! :goodvibes:

tcmt81 03-11-2010 08:03 AM

Well I only have one right now, and I'd like them to be about 2 years apart. If you are breastfeeding and you get pregnant, you may lose your milk supply, so I'd consider that before TTC as well.

burnsis 03-11-2010 08:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tcmt81 (Post 9781577)
If you are breastfeeding and you get pregnant, you may lose your milk supply, so I'd consider that before TTC as well.

:yeahthat:

I knew I was going to bf for at least the first two years, and then if I lost supply due to pregnancy I wouldn't feel so bad. I did feel bad though. I lost my supply when ds was 28 months.

I also wanted to wait until my first child would hopefully be on the road towards potty learning....so I was hoping for a three year age gap....and that's about what we'll have.

BeckyP 03-11-2010 08:15 AM

My kids are 2.5 years apart and I think that is Perfect. They get along great and play together really well. My sister was 4 years older and we were never close. My Dh also has a older sister and younger sister and the spacing is more then 4 years apart so they were never really close either. We wanted to have our kids closer together.