Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   What are Urinary tract infection symptoms in a 2 yr old? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=947945)

Michelle_M 03-13-2010 06:52 PM

What are Urinary tract infection symptoms in a 2 yr old?

He's been sick since Saturday. Took him to the pediatrician on Thursday. She said he's getting over a virus.

Then today he has a slight fever. But there is a weird discolored spot in his diapers over his penis, and has been there on each diaper all day. Oh, and he vomited again last night. *sigh*

Thanks.
God bless

HMinshall 03-13-2010 07:15 PM

Re: What are Urinary tract infection symptoms in a 2 yr old?

My daughter has had UTIs before.....fever, lethargy, stops eating, then stops drinking, very little and dark yellow urine, painful urination...

I hope your son has just a virus.

momtoesther 03-13-2010 07:45 PM

definately fever. if he is verbal he can tell you if it hurts to pee. uti's, if left untreated, can be very dangerous. if thiscontinues I would ask your dr to test his urine. unfortunately, this might mean a catheter to take a sample, but if it is a uti, you want to treat it asap. hope he feels well soon!

Michelle_M 03-13-2010 07:54 PM

He's not really talking much yet. But this morning, he kept grabbing his crotch telling me "Off! Off." and crying. I asked if he wante his diaper off and he said yes. My response was "No, you can't run around without a diaper."

So then the question is... Urgent care in the morning, or pediatrician's office on Monday?

Thanks
God bless!

Quote:

Originally Posted by momtoesther (Post 9800988)
definately fever. if he is verbal he can tell you if it hurts to pee. uti's, if left untreated, can be very dangerous. if thiscontinues I would ask your dr to test his urine. unfortunately, this might mean a catheter to take a sample, but if it is a uti, you want to treat it asap. hope he feels well soon!

jamieism 03-13-2010 07:54 PM

Our 5 yo DD had a UTI a few weeks ago. Her fever spiked really high (104!) and vomiting. Her urine was dark and smelled odd. Peeing was painful, but she often gets rashes and in general resists going, so we didn't think much of it. Can be very scary. If you have insurance, I'd get him to a doctor sooner than later. Why wait...

Michelle_M 03-13-2010 07:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HMinshall (Post 9800823)
My daughter has had UTIs before.....fever, lethargy, stops eating, then stops drinking, very little and dark yellow urine, painful urination...

I hope your son has just a virus.

Slight fever tonight. Very fussy and very lethargic. Not really eating, and having to coax and force him to drink.

Thank you.

jamieism 03-13-2010 07:56 PM

whoops, missed last post...IMO, Urgent care in the morning. And lots of liquids in between. You can go the the pedi. on MOnday to follow up.

Michelle_M 03-13-2010 08:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jamieism (Post 9801048)
whoops, missed last post...IMO, Urgent care in the morning. And lots of liquids in between. You can go the the pedi. on MOnday to follow up.

Thanks. That's kindof the way I was leaning.

God bless!

b'smom 03-13-2010 10:14 PM

I vote for urgent care in the morning. Hope he feels better soon.

Michelle_M 03-13-2010 10:19 PM

DH just called from work and I told him what was going on.

He's going to take Noah to Urgent care first thing in the morning.

We're hoping that if they are there when the doors are unlocked, that it won't be a 4 hour thing.

Poor DH is going to be so tired tomorrow..but I feel that it's better this way so that I don't have to drag the other two boys in there with me. Levi is only 3 weeks old, I do NOT want to sit in an urgent care so snotty-Flu kids can cough all over the place!!!

I told DH it was either that, or *I* would take Noah and HE could sit at home with Christian and Levi... he's still kindof scared to be alone with Levi. LOL Men are such big sissies sometimes! Seriously though, he says he's afraid that Levi would get hungry and that I don't have enough milk in the freezer if I end up being gone for 4 hours.

God bless!