Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Breastfeeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   How long has your LO breastfed? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=949976)

cryssi1978 03-17-2010 12:24 AM

How long has your LO breastfed?

I know this has been asked before, but I'm looking for current information. I'm writing a paper in college on extended breastfeeding and that it is happening more often, as well as why it's happening. My professor already thinks I'm crazy after the essay I wrote him on how to diaper a baby (what can I say, he assigned it as a topic) ended up being two pages and everyone else wrote a paragraph.

My youngest DD is still nursing at 31 months and I am proud of it. I had tried to wean her, but she is way more stongwilled than I am, so I gave in and am letting her self wean.

I would greatly appreciate any help. Thanks.

Jaci 03-17-2010 12:28 AM

Re: How long has your LO breastfed?

My DS1 weaned at 19 months though I blame that on pregnancy. I guess I'm not much help!

cryssi1978 03-17-2010 12:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaci (Post 9823040)
My DS1 weaned at 19 months though I blame that on pregnancy. I guess I'm not much help!

Everyone is help at this point. My professor is convinced that only crazy people nurse thier babies past nine months. For the record my first two DDs weaned at 5 months and 8 months.

Calideedle 03-17-2010 12:41 AM

DS1 weaned at 3.5yrs
DD weaned at 3yrs
DS2 is 13months and still going strong (eats very, very little solids & nurses all day and night!)

I have been Breastfeeding for 6yrs straight in May. I guess I am a crazy one! ;)

LillyIvy 03-17-2010 12:50 AM

DD quit nursing at 5mo :cry: It was a whole host of things, but it boils down to me being an idiot and not educating myself. My goal has ALWAYS been one year at least, then let them wean when they want. My goal has since risen to two years, I refuse to fail this baby with mommy's goodness!

masja 03-17-2010 01:36 AM

I weaned DS at 23 months only because he really didn't care if he nursed or not, DD is still going very strong at 10 months, the way she's going I swear she's never gonna stop, lol

ekmaurer3 03-17-2010 02:08 AM

DS is 33 months and still nursing semi frequently. He will nurse 5 times a day if I let him or more. I am doing child led weaning because I believe it is the most natural thing.
The average age for a child to wean in societies where a child is allowed to nurse on demand is about four years of age.
This is a good article about some statistics http://www.kathydettwyler.org/detwean.html
It really makes you think about how long we really were intended to breastfeed.
I think we as humans are intended to nurse much longer than most women want to because society has taught us otherwise over the years.

fulmun 03-17-2010 02:09 AM

My son is 10 months old and still nursing a lot. He is eating solids only for dinner with us (he does snack here and there too), but then he still wants to nurse after dinner, or an hour or so after dinner. I still enjoy breastfeeding a lot. In fact I enjoy it better because the first stages of leakage, gigantic boobs, sensitive nipples are long gone.

My goal is 2 years. I'm planning on having another baby when my son is 2 years old, so I'm thinking he will wean around the time the other one comes along. Not that I'd mind tandem nursing, but I think I wouldn't put extra effort into it if he didn't want to nurse anymore. If he's still very attached to it, I would still keep nursing him.

Though hopefully when the second baby is around 2 years old I can leave breastfeeding behind. Of course I'm not experienced, I'm not sure how it is to nurse a toddler. But if I still need to use nursing bras around the house and nursing pads when I'm going out, I don't want to nurse any longer than 2 years (4 years total) :) Because, even though I love nursing and I love my baby and I wouldn't have it any different at anytime, I still miss my regular bras, regular clothing, and not worrying about letdown :)

Steady101 03-17-2010 02:15 AM

Both of mine self weaned between 18-19 months.

LillyIvy 03-17-2010 02:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ekmaurer3 (Post 9823223)
DS is 33 months and still nursing semi frequently. He will nurse 5 times a day if I let him or more. I am doing child led weaning because I believe it is the most natural thing.
The average age for a child to wean in societies where a child is allowed to nurse on demand is about four years of age.
This is a good article about some statistics http://www.kathydettwyler.org/detwean.html
It really makes you think about how long we really were intended to breastfeed.
I think we as humans are intended to nurse much longer than most women want to because society has taught us otherwise over the years.

ITA! :thumbsup: