Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Diaper Chatter and Q & A (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Who else makes their own dipes? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=950)

FitMommyOf2 04-24-2006 07:42 PM

Who else makes their own dipes?

Just for themselves mainly (maybe with the dream to become a wahm one day)???

I'm curious as ever since I started making my own pocket fitteds I'd easily sell all other fitteds that I have and only use mine as I love them so much and am so proud of myself when I see them on DS's tush!!! (I'm only sparing you with weekly brag posts! LOL)

So, who else feels like me? :D

beckers1111 04-24-2006 07:43 PM

Re: Who else makes their own dipes?

I have yet to make a diaper, but I hope I feel that way soon!! :o

vick 04-24-2006 07:45 PM

Yeah That!

I keep telling the hubby that I need to get a sewing machine so I can try making my own ... he's like "well, learning would certainly keep you off the Internet buying 'em all day"

Proverbs169 04-24-2006 07:45 PM

I do! I have made both fitteds for both my daughters as well as pfs. Still tweaking both designs and hoping to make an entire new one this weekend! I was using the fernandfaerie recycled design but it just wasn't working for us, even though the dipes are so cute. My youngest has already outgrown the ones I made her. :(

MamaStace 04-24-2006 07:47 PM

Well, I would LOVE to make my own dipes now that I finally set up my sewing machine.

My question is, where do you get the material? I guess you can use cute knit fabric for the outside layer, but what do you stuff it with???? Where do you get hemp and velour and other absorbent fabrics for stuffers?

bfoster2000 04-24-2006 07:51 PM

My 30th birthday was last week and I told dh that I want to buy myself a sewing machine for my birthday. *I* know it would be for diaper making but he would think that's just crazy! I told him if we can get the "office" cleaned up (we moved in almost two years ago and this room is still full of boxes!) and the garage cleaned out, then I'll spend my birthday money on a sewing machine and we can spend our income tax refund to get him a riding lawn mower. So far it sounds like a good plan but neither of us are making much progress!

Anyway, I did make DJ a pair of wool shorts last week and I totally know what you mean...there is something so rewarding about seeing your baby wearing something you've made...even if it's not perfect. As soon as I finished that pair of shorts, I started on a pair of longies (and dh doesn't know that I already have two more kinds of yarn to make some more for DJ and the new baby!!)

So it's not just you! :)

lovencloth 04-24-2006 07:51 PM

I did, before I started selling. We had fit and night time issues that I couldn't spend tons of money "trying out" things to fix. I knew what I needed and did it. Then I decided to sell and had to invest in a serger and snap press, but (and I know I am biased) I still comment on how cute my little M looks in her Little M's. :) I have thought about making them my only diaper, but now it is like, well I could make her a dipe, and it costs me less, but it also costs me profit, so it is the same as just buying other wahm's dipes, only I don't have to spend the time. I would suggest, if you think you will want a whole stash of your own, do it before you sell. You go into it thinking, oh, I can make a diaper any time I want for dc, and what happens is, you make tons of dipes for everyone else and none for your own! :p

TaivensMama 04-24-2006 07:52 PM

well, honestly I learned how to sew dipes because I wanted to make my own stash instead of buying this time, although we are not TTC until July. I loved doing it and as you are I was sooo proud I was showing them off to friends and other moms and people started asking to buy them! then I found this board and I had posted pics of doll diapers and all heaven broke loose! Hahah I had PM's up the wazoo asking for them soon asking about diapers and then I went to making sets and other things...I only recently started and have had a great time doing it...so maybe...just maybe you will one day want to do the WAHM thing...the hardest thing for me is to part with my creations...so for now I have been making one for the people that buy and if I have a hard time parting with that particular print or design I make one for our future babies hehehe....I can tell you my baby will have so many diapers we won't have enough places to store them haha...so do you have a sewing machine and a serger???? I found the LOVE of a serger recently and OMG it is the greatest creation!!! makes things go soooo fast! and secure .... If you have not tried one yet oh boy do you need to!!!:p

hfitz5051 04-24-2006 07:55 PM

I have made a few for Hazy, but I made even more for my brother's baby to be. I'm still working on my own pattern though. I have a serger, but haven't made a diaper with it yet.

Melissa 04-24-2006 08:00 PM

I do both make for me and make for others I love the ones I make for dd cause they are what i wanted in a dipe.