Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Summer babies? Help! (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9536)

punkmama3 05-28-2006 11:40 AM

Summer babies? Help!

I'm going to be giving birth to my very first summer baby, and it just occured to me: What do I do with a baby born in JULY???? I've got the cold weather down pat, but summer? How do I dress a newborn? Do I swaddle?
It's humid here already (I live in NY), and I'm dreading what July is going to be like. Suggestions for a mom who has never had a baby in the summer?

Thank you!

jls~Kain~Drake 05-28-2006 11:49 AM

Re: Summer babies? Help!

I had a baby in August and I dressed him in shorts and things to go out....but really, we stayed in a lot and I dressed him pretty much the same way my January baby was dressed as we keep it about 74 in the house. I did swaddle him and always took smaller receiving blankets when we went out.

jjaelovesenglish 05-28-2006 11:50 AM

My friend had a premie last summer and she just bought onsies. She only swaddled him at night because it was just too darned hot. She also didn't really bother with the footed jammies until September or October because the baby would get really fussy when hot. If you swaddle, find really light receiving blankets because chances are your babe will get really hot too. Other than that, I am not sure how hot New York is in the summer because I live clear accross the country. Good luck.

vick 05-28-2006 12:16 PM

I had a July baby in Texas, so I know hot + newborn :)

I usually kept her in a onesie and would cover her with a receiving blanket as needed. She was never really big on swaddling, so that was kind of a non-issue. And she did most of her sleeping on people, so she usually had an adult body to keep her warm.

If you have air conditioning, the "heat" of summer is pretty well mitigated. We usually ruin the air at 76 or 77 so it's not really that hot in the house.

Merisong 05-28-2006 12:16 PM

I had an August baby and I kept my house at 78 or so he stayed in a onesie and dipe.. occasionally I added socks and bib and kept a very light blanket nearby, when I noticed he was about to go to sleep I would lay the light blanket over him loosely. At night instead of swaddling him, I had firm rolled up blankets to each side of him to make him feel more "cuddled" and he usually wore thin footed pjs and no blanket but a blanket was always very near just in case... if my next baby is a summer baby, I plan to use baby legs so I can stretch them out or scrunch them up during the day to better adjust to fluctuating temps. I discovered that if you fold up/down the cuff it will stay on super tiny legs better. I also had a very loose crochet blanket (half holes so to speak) and used that alot that summer because it was so well ventilated :giggle: If you arent considering wool covers, I would recommend looking into them as a cooler option than regular covers. I used coverless fitteds laying/sitting on a prefold most of the time and that worked well for us. HTH!

Cindy

janelyb 05-28-2006 02:26 PM

I've got 2 junebugs here...lol....

dressed them lightly in onesis or light outfits, swaddled them almost always, mostly stayed indoors w/ ac during the very hot days. I live in northern CA, we don't have hummidity, thank god, but we do have 100+ summer days from June-October. I don't know how you east coasters survive with hummidty, I was there last June and got heat stroke my 1st day, I can't handle hummid weather.

bfoster2000 05-28-2006 06:35 PM

DJ was born in July in Georgia so yeah, it was hot! I still found that his little chicken legs got cold inside in the air conditioning so I usually had him in a onesie with a light blanket or light pants for the first few months. Of course, by then, it was cooler overall! At night, dh likes to keep our house cool and runs the fans so even in the summertime, I used the one-piece footed pajamas...just the ones made out of t-shirt material though...not too heavy.

punkmama3 05-29-2006 07:50 AM

Thank you for the responses!
I feel silly asking these things, but really, I've never had a summer baby before, it's all new to me! lol.

Thank you again, I'll be sure to only lightly cover, and lightly dress. Thankfully alot of the footie pjs I have wont' fit for a few months, but now I know what I need to go purchase for the Sprout. :thumbsup:

Luv2bemommy 05-29-2006 08:03 AM

Meghan was born in Aug and I was the same way.. My prevous kids were born in Nov and Feb.. LOL

Meghan wore ALOT of onsies and teeshirts.. When we were home she wore alot of thin gowns and I did swaddle her some too..

Radish4ever 05-29-2006 10:17 AM

For our DD, who was born in May, the summer was TORTURE - not inside, but in the car - she would always get WAY too hot and what can you really do for that? Not really anything :( Unfortunately she had to stay rear-facing and no matter how much the AC was on and we put up the reflective thing on the windshield, it was still in the 100s every day!

Indoors was a piece of cake - a dipe, a onesie, and a mommy ;) LOL