Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Western Canada (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=118)
-   -   joing y'all soon (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=955450)

mmjones13 03-25-2010 06:18 PM

joing y'all soon

Hi!
I currently live in the States but I'm fixing to move to Canada and I wanted some insight on what life is like in Canada for a family. I know this is very broad but any input would be great. I have three children and I want to know things like:do kids wear school uniforms or reg clothes, activities for families, food, cultural norms, etc etc I've been to Canada once, but it was to visit only. To be honest, I'm a little nervous about moving as I'm sure it's a big change from Mississippi. :blush:

ALovelyStart 03-25-2010 09:26 PM

Re: joing y'all soon

Where in Canada are you moving?

Oh... doesn't matter - we all live in igloos and end every sentence with "eh?"; :giggle: Just jokes... Hope you enjoy your move here.

Bumby 03-25-2010 10:37 PM

I always say, you find what you want to find... so look for some nice mamas! I hope that you don't find it too big of a culture shock. There is a lot of open spaces in some parts of the country, so a 2 hour drive isn't far. Where are you moving to?
WELCOME TO CANADA!

tjoy 03-25-2010 10:54 PM

Other than needing to know how to correctly order from Tim Horton`s, it`s really not all that different here;)

cjs4kids 03-25-2010 11:15 PM

LOL, honestly, you will NOT find it any different at all then from the US.

To answer your questions better, could you tell us what part of Canada you are moving too?
Wester, Eastern, Central, Northern Canada?
Each part of our country is a tad different....just like the east coast & west coast of US is different from each other & a Texan is different then a New Yorker.

The school uniform question I can answer though! Aside from going to a private school, there will likely be NO uniform required.

Our food is exactly the same as your US food. When you go grocery shopping, you'll recognize ALL the brand labels. Your KD looks exactly the same as our KD.

PS....when you come up, can you bring 400 cases of Cherry Coke & PM me when you get here? LOL, jk....we no longer sell it here....*sigh* I love that stuff.

Over-all you should like it very much. I've never heard any immigrants say "Damn....I hate Canada." LOL, but all kidding aside, Canada is very similar to US. We share the same cultural habits & life styles, eat the same foods, drink the same Starbucks, watch the same TV shows & movies, listen to the same music, wear the same clothes. Aside from Tim Hortons & our beautiful colored money....you'd never know you weren't in the US.

Oh...and you might find that Canadians will assume that since you are American..that you are rude & arrogant. eeps....not everyone will think that....but a lot will. *where is that hiding under the chair thingy?!*

ETA: when you find a Tim Hortons, just say: Large double-double then move on quickly...or you'll find yourself facing some very irritated coffee-hounds.
(double-double is 2 sugar & 2 cream, triple-double is 3 sugar & 2 cream)

NSnewmom 03-26-2010 11:29 AM

Actually, I spend a lot of time on another parenting message board and I am always amazed at some of the things American parents have to deal with. Overall, I can say that the culture of Canada is a lot more family friendly. For one thing, we get a year of maternity leave! Plus, there's the health care issue, which you should know all about. Also, I think the culture is more breastfeeding friendly and NIP is not a big deal (which, I get the impression it is in the States). Welcome to Canada, whatever province you end up in!

NSnewmom 03-26-2010 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cjs4kids (Post 9887132)
Our food is exactly the same as your US food. When you go grocery shopping, you'll recognize ALL the brand labels. Your KD looks exactly the same as our KD.

Except it's not called KD in the US, is it? Isn't it Kraft Macaroni & Cheese?

Also, Smarties are different. They contain chocolate in Canada! Mmm...

ATallGiraffe 03-26-2010 11:44 AM

Welcome to Canada! Depending on where you are headed, it isn't too much different up here. Just like everyone said, as long as you know Tim Horton's etiquette you should be fine! :)

cjs4kids 03-26-2010 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NSnewmom (Post 9889738)

Also, Smarties are different. They contain chocolate in Canada! Mmm...

Uhm....so what is inside the Smarties in the US?? Is it fake chocolate??

mmjones13 03-26-2010 05:45 PM

Hi Canadian mamas,
We are moving to Vancouver Island, BC. Not sure where exactly. My husband is Canadian and his fam lives there. Yes, I know Canada is a lot like the US but there's always little things that make a country and its people unique. Smarties in the states are a candy not a choc. I think Canadian choc is more like British choc which I LOVE. Some Americans can be ignorant due to the fact that American culture heavily influences the rest of the world in my opinion. But no, I'm not the obnoxious narrow minded American that wants everything to be just the way it's done "back home". I'm very open minded and I'm getting excited to move. However, I don't want to step on toes and want to semi fit in with the rest of y'all. Yes, I'm sure y'all won't get me far over there lol. Bummer about the uniforms but it'll be fun shopping for clothes for the girls. Do u have outlet malls? My mil is always amazed at the prices for clothes and shoes down here- do y'all have good sales like we do. I ask bc if the answer is no I'll stock up here before we move. What about winter clothes?? I know BC doesn't get quite as cold as some of the other provinces but what do u consider adequate winter clothes. I know I'm rambling but I'm excited/nervous... oh, one last thing- do any of u have your children in a french immersion school?