Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Diaper Chatter and Q & A (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   interested in tips for CDing (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9576)

Audriannasmommy 05-28-2006 03:48 PM

interested in tips for CDing

I plan on starting to CD my 14 month old daughter very soon she is 16lbs 15oz possibly 17lbs. Anyways I am curious about lots of things.

Snappis or pins what is better?
what types of CD's are there and what brands and what types would your reccommend what would you not recommend?
Poo how do you get it off the CD's?
what liners are good?
Pros and Cons of Cding?
And just about any advice tips you want to give me
what fabrics to use when I decide to be brave enough to try to make some?
is there any patterns for crocheted dipes out there.
Come on convince me I know everyones been waiting to convince people to use cloth diapers I pretty much am set on cloth diapering but give me some reasons lol

Thanks ladies.

rowynne 05-28-2006 03:57 PM

Re: interested in tips for CDing

Pockets are my favorite right now. I use Happy Heinys & Fuzzi Bunz mostly. These have a waterproof outer & microfleece inner to keep baby dry. You stuff it with absorbant whatever (prefolds, special inserts, even kitchen towels). They wsh & dry easily but you have to be careful what detergent you use (i recommend sportwash, sun or washing soda with simple green) or you'll end up with repelling & dipes will need stripping.

Poop- I just shake it into the potty & toss the dipe into my dry pail. Havent had one stain yet.

Liners- i dont use them...meant to, i just always forgot!

There are tons of patterns to knit and crochet covers out on the internet as well as free diaper patterns that list materials to use. I cant sew to save my life but alot of other mamas could help you with that.

Before I started cding I did a google search & read everything I could find & made a little folder of printed info. Types of dipes, how many I'd need, how often to change, how to wash, what NOT to use, etc. It was really helpful when I couldnt come to the board and ask a question or just to double check what I thought.

Audriannasmommy 05-28-2006 04:06 PM

thank you so much

SheilaJoy 05-28-2006 04:10 PM

A lot of people also use a diaper sprayer to get poop off (this is a necessity for me as my babies have that peanut butter poop :yuck: ). This makes it much easier.

I started off with pockets, now I mainly use fitteds and fleece covers, but I am in the process of getting some AIOs too. Either one of these are the easiest.

I've never used pins because I don't have any, but snappis are pretty easy to get the hang of. I think with pins you can get a tighter fit though.

I recommend Very Baby All In One's, Fuzzi Bunz (pockets), Loveybums (fitteds). Do NOT recommend Little Lambs or Kushies. For covers, I recommend Dancing Bears Fleece Covers (they're like little shorts for the summer), and stacinator for nighttime (bulky though).

Merisong 05-28-2006 04:13 PM

At 14m, I would forgo snappi and pins because of squirmy issues while changing, although snappi is better than pins. I personally prefer snaps over velcro type closures and appreciate the flexibility of fitteds with covers. I would seriously consider wool covers especially heading into summer. I change after every pee/poo so I have opted for larger quanity of dipes over dipes that hold oodles for a long time without leaking (although I have some of those for outings) HTH!:2cents:

Mommyof2Princesses 05-28-2006 04:14 PM

I'd start out with Fuzzi Bunz, so much easier and you won't want to throw in the towel. I'm fairly new only been doing it for 3 months. So I'm still learning. I bought a dozen Fuzzis and love them. They also have a great resale value. Bumgenius are good too! Never had a leak with either brand. There are alot of great WAHMs out there that make great diapers. It is simply finding out what works for you. Alot of sites also offer layaway. and also keep an eye out for sales. I know that the old style swaddlebees are only $10 a diaper. Here s the link http://swaddlebees.com/outletstore?P...c8070b10437a45
I haven't tried them but I've heard good things about them. hope this helps and good luck with everything!

SheilaJoy 05-28-2006 04:16 PM

Oh yeah, and you can use fitteds alone without covers as long as you change often. I do this a lot, and it's especially easy in the warm months.

Oh, and you wanted motivation to quit using sposies, so here you go:

Do you have any idea what those millions of tons of disposables are doing to the environment? Talk about waste. Not to mention the STINK of sposies. And, what do you put on your own bottom, paper or cloth? Don't you think your baby deserves cloth as well? Or do you want to put toxic chemical gels on your own bottom and sit in them all day??

Hehe, that was my boot camp version of conversion. :hugs:

Audriannasmommy 05-28-2006 04:25 PM

thanks now any advice on what to do when your child naps for 3hrs and wakes up with a rectal temp on 100.5 J/K my lil one has 2 molars comming oin and 4 other teeth.

SheilaJoy 05-28-2006 04:28 PM

Do you have any natural fever reducers? If not, try some tylenol for the pain.

Audriannasmommy 05-28-2006 04:36 PM

she was put on 15mg ibuprofen tylenol was not working but since i have to wait till tuesday for it to get refilled we will try the humpry's or the hylands we have both no clue whats better?