Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   In The Kitchen (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Gluten Free, dairy free and in a cooking rut... (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=958549)

Doodlebrainette 03-30-2010 10:51 PM

Gluten Free, dairy free and in a cooking rut...

For the love of all that tastes good and won't leave me doubled over in pain, please give me some GF meal ideas that don't involve scrambled eggs and rice! :giggle2: I'm in a terrible rut and have no desire to cook these days. Please inspire me!!!!!

2queens&1princenmyhouse 03-30-2010 11:28 PM

Re: Gluten Free, dairy free and in a cooking rut...

I don't have a whole lot to offer, but if all you are eating is scrambled eggs and rice, then I can do a little better than that! :thumbsup:

Chili
Tacos or nachos using corn tortillas (meat, lettuce, tomato, onion, soy sour cream, salsa)
Chicken Nuggets (make your own cutting up chicken breasts or thighs, soaking them in an egg/milk substitute mixture, then dredging them in brown rice flour seasoned with onion and garlic powder, salt, pepper, paprika and cayenne).
spaghetti or other brown rice pasta with lots of veggies in your tomato sauce (or pesto too)
Ham & Bean soup
Fried Chicken (made like above) and mashed potatoes (instead of adding milk and butter, use Blue Bonnet Light-has soy, no dairy and/or Tofutti sour cream-I also always reserve a little of the potato water to use if needed too.)

I kept all of my regular quick bread and muffin recipes and substituted the milk with rice or soy milk and the wheat flour with Domata Flour. You can substitute it cup for cup and it makes wonderful baked goods.

Let me know if this helps at all, or things you particularly don't like, and I'll try to come up with other ideas.

lemurkinsmommy 03-30-2010 11:44 PM

We eat alot of gluten free and a bit of dairy free as well :D

Stirfries
corn pasta with sauce
veggie/vegan dishes (without the "fake" meat since its not gluten free, we'll subsitute with mushrooms and other veggies)
Crock pot meals
meat and potatoes and veggies
fruit and veggies for snacks
sushi is one of my faves :D
sweet potato fries baked in the oven

There are lots of GF mixes out there and pre-made products (expensive but still good) and tons of GF blogs dedicated to awesome tried and tested recipes. :)

kmbrlyv 03-30-2010 11:54 PM

A meal that I usually make for friends coming over with gluten problems is a high veggie beef stew. We use 1 lb of very lean beef, several varieties of root veggies (parsnip, carrot, potato, turnip, onions, and of course garlic), a gluten free whole grain (usually buckwheat or brown rice), a few fresh herbs (oregano and thyme), a dried bay leaf (to be removed later), and kale.

Brown the meat in the pan with the onions and garlic. Add the root veggies when the onions are translucent. I usually add about 8 to 10 cups of water to it if I don't have veggie broth around. Once it starts simmering add a cup of your choice of whole grains. Add your herbs along with some salt and cracked black pepper to taste. Let simmer for 35 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add kale at the end and simmer for another couple minutes to wilt it.

This usually holds up pretty well and gets my really picky DSD to eat lots of veggies. We've never had any issues as far as gluten intolerances but there are plenty of recipes that I have that would work for you...including several thai recipes (non of which involve dairy or gluten...just lots of coconut milk and chili!). LMK if you need any of them.

vintagegyrl 03-31-2010 06:49 AM

Jambalaya is great, too. You can just throw stuff together. Cooked chicken, sausages, veggies, spices & broth. then serve over pasta if u r tired of rice!

I am new to the GF/CF. How do you know if something has gluten in it like balogna or sausages?
We have been on a really strict diet and didn't even have to watch these things. Now we are ready to branch out to just GF/CF. thanks!

2queens&1princenmyhouse 03-31-2010 07:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vintagegyrl (Post 9921446)
Jambalaya is great, too. You can just throw stuff together. Cooked chicken, sausages, veggies, spices & broth. then serve over pasta if u r tired of rice!

I am new to the GF/CF. How do you know if something has gluten in it like balogna or sausages?
We have been on a really strict diet and didn't even have to watch these things. Now we are ready to branch out to just GF/CF. thanks!

I've seen deli meat packages labeled gluten free before. I'm not sure specifically about bologna, but I know for ham, turkey, etc. As for sausage, if you are talking breakfast sausage, I get Jimmy Dean All-Natural sausage. It's also nitrate/nitrite-free. I don't know if there is a nitrate/nitrite free bologna. We only eat it occasionally, so I haven't paid much attention.

katy101 03-31-2010 09:02 AM

try this recipe from a mom on here

http://eastonseats.blogspot.com/2010/01/flatbread.html

it is a good flatbread. put a ball of dough b/t two sheets of plastic wrap and roll it out thin. cooks in a minute and is ready to filled with:

chicken ceasar salad
bean/meat burrtios
eggs, potatoes, etc (breakfast wrap)
turkey avocado roll up

the list goes on & on...

Doodlebrainette 03-31-2010 10:35 AM

LOL! I do eat more than rice and eggs. :D We have 9 chickens that are laying about 6-8 eggs a day, so we do a LOT of eggs here. I miss quiche, though, and get tired of scrambled, fried, boiled, etc. We do chili and other meat dishes. I love the idea of chicken nuggets! DD2 can't eat gluten, either, so it would be great for her.

The Blue Bonnet Light....does it taste like margerine/butter or does it have an off flavor? I bought one dairy free margerine and it just tasted weird.

Hormel has some gluten free sandwich meats. I don't think it keeps very long, though. Look for the burgundy box....Natural something or other. It says gluten free right on it.

And I'm totally trying that flat bread tonight! I make Chebe/Brazillian cheese bread (leaving out the cheese) often, but I can only eat so much of it at one time. The flatbread sounds awesome! I miss a good soft taco so much!

I've been GF for a year now and dairy free for about 9 months. I think I'm just missing things like Pizza....REAL pizza, not my wanna be version of it.....and stuff like that. Please keep the ideas coming! I am sure my family will be even more grateful than I am. LOL! :D

2queens&1princenmyhouse 03-31-2010 12:59 PM

To me, the Blue Bonnet Light just tastes like cheap-o margarine. Not funky or anything, but not like butter either. The plus about it is that it melts if you use it on pancakes or toast or on a baked potato-that is a big plus to me.

Other ideas I had...
Meatballs to use with spaghetti (use rice instead of bread crumbs)
Roast w/ potatoes and carrots
Pork Tenderloin-pound out flat and bread as you would with chicken, fry in a small amount of oil. Make a gravy from GFCF Chicken broth (I used Rachael Ray's before I started making my own) and rice flour or cornstarch. Serve with noodles or mashed potatoes. You can also use beef round steak for country fried steak.
Beef, bean and the soy sour cream in a flatbread for a burrito. Spanish rice on the side.

ceslade 04-03-2010 11:46 PM

Start using chickpeas. Hummus is oh so yummy! Chickpeas are great on salads. I also like to put canned ones on chicken thighs. I put them in the oven and cook them at 350 for 30-60 minutes...however long it takes, with diced tomatoes, garlic, and onion. I drizzle a tiny bit of olive oil over. Very good. Even my meatatarian will eat the chickpeas.