Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   In The Kitchen (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   frugal mamas, how do you prevent freezer burn...in all this food you stockpile? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=95919)

sienna 02-05-2007 02:10 PM

frugal mamas, how do you prevent freezer burn...in all this food you stockpile?

Seriously.
I read on one thread that one mama has two DEER in her freezer at any time b/c her dh hunts...and i thought...how does all this stockpiled food not get ruined b4 it gets eaten?

S

wiseolegoat1 02-06-2007 12:51 AM

Re: frugal mamas, how do you prevent freezer burn...in all this food you stockpile?

well, with deer, elk, salmon, etc...we cut it up, wrap in plastic, then wrap in heavy paper... I like to use brown paper grocery bags....but white butcher paper works well too...that is how the pigs and half a cow come back from butcher shop...and no problems with freezer burn.
Also, we don't use the frostless freezers!
those will thaw themselves periodically to keep the frost away...but your meat wont last as long in those either!
The old fashioned kind you have to thaw out at least once a year work best to store meat long term!!!! They get the coldest, and keep a steady temp once you set em. They tend to use less power to run as well!
Hope this helps!
Wiseolegoat1

Dawnn 02-06-2007 01:01 AM

Re: frugal mamas, how do you prevent freezer burn...in all this food you stockpile?

On my meat I only get freezer burn on the stuff I buy from the meat case at the grocery store because they're wrapped in plastic wrap but have air in the packages. When we buy a half a cow or a pig or butcher deer I get them wrapped in plain butcher paper. DH's family uses ziplock bags...they used to get them virtually free since dh's gpa invented the original plastics Dow Chemical made Saran & Ziplocks with. I'm not a plastic fan and dh's gpa thinks I'm crazy. Oh well. I just think paper works better.

~happy2Bamommy~ 02-08-2007 06:27 AM

We eat alot of deer..Matter of fact when I am talking to mommas about cooking I call the ground venision "hamburger"..

My husband is an avid hunter (very avid) so we kept three and have friends that took several more (they call him at the start of deer sesson and put in an order:laugh: ) For all the meat I freeze rather it is deer,chicken etc I use the freezer paper and freezer tape. Works great and no freezer burn. We have an upright freezer that defrost itself and still have no problems with the meat.

I want to try cooking up cassaroles and freezing them so any tips from anybody that does this would be great!!

munchkinflame13 02-08-2007 06:32 AM

If you cook a caserole and want to freeze it, you are supposed to put aluminum foil in the bottom of the pan. Then, once it is frozen, you can take it out of the pan and wrap it in more foil or freezer paper and you don't have to leave your caserole dish in the freezer until you are ready to reheat it. . . I haven't tried it yet, but that is what my sis told me the last time I froze a caserole in the caserole dish :blush:

erinid 02-11-2007 08:40 PM

We go grocery shopping once a month, so our freezer is generally pretty darn full-- Except right now because Friday is our grocery shopping day. We keep things from getting freezer burnt by using a seperate freezer. Popsicles, a couple of leftovers taht will be used in short order and ice are all we keep in that mini-box above our fridge.

dirtdartwife 02-11-2007 08:45 PM

I second the freezer paper. I used to buy alot of meats from Sam's Club then get home and spend the next two hours breaking it down into family size portions (back when I only had one kid). I would wrap it in freezer paper first then put it in a freezer hefty bag. Those kept the best. I, too, noticed that I'd get freezer burn on the ones I just put in freezer hefty bags (or freezer ziplocks) but the ones I wrapped just in paper didn't have freezer burn.

make sure you date the packages too. I would use a sharpie and write what it was and the date I packed it. That way I could rotate my freezer items so I didn't have stuff packed 9 months ago stuck down on the bottom and remain there for the next decade, kwim?

jenncatsmeow 02-11-2007 09:18 PM

ok.....where do you guys get freezer paper? I've never heard of it......

Julesmom23girls 02-12-2007 08:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jenncatsmeow (Post 728049)
ok.....where do you guys get freezer paper? I've never heard of it......

It is getting harder to find but you should be able to get it and it should be by the wax paper. It is a longer roll, like the xtra wide foil. It is a white paper w/ one side that is waxy. That is the side you want by the meat, paper side out. Renoylds makes it as I am sure other brands do too.

tash 02-12-2007 09:11 AM

I dont eat meat. and I useually dont prevent frezer burn (too lazy), I useually just repair it. With anything that is going to be cooked it water its not a problem at all. Like vegtables, pasta, etc. With burritos (store bought or homemade) I wrap it in a wet paper towl then microwave it. then take off the papertowl and finish cooking it. its not perfect, but it helps.

if I know I am going to store something for a while (like next time I am pregnant I plan on cooking a lot of meals for after the baby). I can vacume seal it. That really helps a lot.