Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Diaper Chatter and Q & A (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Microfiber users..do you have build up issues?, and if not please help! (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9621)

Bridym 05-28-2006 07:46 PM

Microfiber users..do you have build up issues?, and if not please help!

I was just wondering if others who use microfiber a lot have the same soap build up issue as I do, and if not what am I doing wrong?

My ds was leaking through all of his diapers(even a brand spaking new one) so I did a stripping and sure enough there was tunes of soap. I have stripped them before just for the "fun" of it but how often should it be done so I don't have leaking issues?

If you don't have leaking issues what do you wash your inserts with? I am so tempted to skip using soap and just use bleach on them, but I would think this would shorten their life span a great deal.

Any tips would be wonderful!

bfoster2000 05-28-2006 08:05 PM

Re: Microfiber users..do you have build up issues?, and if not please help!

I use microfiber towels to stuff my pockets and I wash them right along with all the other dipes/covers/wipes/etc. I use 1/4 cup washing soda and 3-4 squirts of Simple Green for a full load, or adjust down for a smaller load. I've never had any buildup, repelling, or odor problems...it works great for us.

rowynne 05-28-2006 08:23 PM

same as above poster, but I use about 9-10 squirts of simple green & a double rinse at the end. no problems here either oh & every so often I add a squirt of original dawn detergent to the wash. supposed to help keep them stripped.

Psychomom 05-28-2006 08:30 PM

I don't have repelling issues, but I had HUGE stink issues (ammonia-like) with my prefolds and microfiber inserts. I think I just got rid of it, and it was by using Sport-Wash & Borax.

Bridym 05-29-2006 05:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bfoster2000
I use microfiber towels to stuff my pockets and I wash them right along with all the other dipes/covers/wipes/etc. I use 1/4 cup washing soda and 3-4 squirts of Simple Green for a full load, or adjust down for a smaller load. I've never had any buildup, repelling, or odor problems...it works great for us.

What is Simple Green?
I have a front loader as well, so not sure if that has anything to do with it.

I always wash my diapers and inserts together. Put them on a soak cycle first then Heavey was load on Hot with extra rinse and the soap just seems to not wan to come out. I only use about 1tsp of soap per load of about 12 pockets and inserts.

SarahJane 05-29-2006 05:30 PM

I always wash my pockets first separate then I wash my inserts. I've tried to keep them from needing stripping by once a week I add an extra hot wash followed by adding calgon in the first rinse. I always wash with a cold rinse, hot wash (detergent of choice) I rotate, then 2 cold rinses. So far no issues with stink or build up. I added calgon because our water is moderately hard and I use pul pockets.

SJ

FitMommyOf2 05-29-2006 06:26 PM

We had stink issues (ammonia like) recently and it got less with Borax. I have yet to find some Sportswash though, but think my Dawn detergent works well otherwise.
I always wash everything together, dipes, inserts and wipes and run 2 cycles, the first hot/cold followed by cold/cold OR if I soak them overnight in the machine then it's reversed.

Bridy,
here's what I found about Simple Green http://consumer.simplegreen.com/cons_prod_ori.php

I haven't seen it around here though.. Maybe b/c I didn't look properly?:headscratch: :blush:

My question is: Where do I find washing soda? In the same aisle like the other detergents???

bfoster2000 05-29-2006 10:06 PM

Washing Soda is made by Arm & Hammer and comes in a big yellow box with the A&H logo. I haven't found it at Walmart but I get it at Kroger (our mainstream chain grocery store) in the detergent aisle, near the Borax and water softener. I read somewhere that it is the same chemical as the soda ash they use in pools, but a different strength. I believe what I read said that soda ash was 3 times as strong as washing soda...so you'd use 1/3 the amount. I won't swear on that though. I pay either $1.49 or $1.99 (can't remember) for a big box of washing soda and I use 1/4 cup or less per load of diapers so it lasts a good while.

Simple Green is a multi-purpose cleaner that can be bought just about anywhere. It can be used for all kinds of things...you may find it in the auto aisle because it is popular as a degreaser/tire cleaner. Don't let that fool you though, what you buy is a super-concentrate...it's actually quite gentle when you dilute it enough. I have read that Simple Green is one of the things that they use to clean up birds after an oil spill because it takes off the oil but doesn't harm the birds. It has a strong smell that bothers some people, but again, it's super concentrated. The instructions on the bottle say for household cleaning you should dilute it from 1/10 to 1/30 (1 part SG to 10 parts water or more). I use roughly 4 squirts of the concentrate on a full load of diapers so you can imagine that's VERY diluted. I actually don't mind the smell of the SG but I do like that when I take the diapers out, they have no smell at all...not even the SG smell. I think I paid around $3 for a bottle at the grocery store (it's cheaper at someplace like Sams or BJ's) and that bottle has lasted several months and is still more than halfway full.

I have read where people said that the SG caused rashes or "ate" diapers, but I suspect that those people were using WAY too much. DJ has EXTREMELY sensitive skin and has never had any problems with rashes and after using this combo for several months now on our very small stash, I have not noticed any excessive wear or other problems with any of our diaper fabrics.

Here are a couple of links that explain the science behind the WS/SG combo:
http://www.mothering.com/discussions...hlight=ws%2Fsg

and

http://sunshinediapers.com/u_detergent.html (scroll down the page about 2/3 of the way)

Oh, by the way, my washing machine is not all that fancy and doesn't have much selection as far as cycles. Most of the time, I do all the dipes (and inserts, wipes, covers, etc.) on a hot wash/cold rinse, then throw it all in the dryer. If there are a lot of nasty poopy dipes or if they have been sitting for a while, I will set them on cold/cold and leave the cover open so that they agitate and then just soak for a while. After "a while", I'll shut the cover so that they drain and then rinse, then add my normal WS/SG and do the hot/cold wash. Every now and then, I run an extra rinse just to be sure but I've never had any problems with anything...

Good luck!

Barb