Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Diaper Chatter and Q & A (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   What's your wash 'n' wear routine with pockets? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9625)

momof4 05-28-2006 07:57 PM

What's your wash 'n' wear routine with pockets?

Now that I have my stash and no baby yet, it's easy to stuff the pockets and have them ready. But I'm nervous about when I start to use them. For those organized (and less organized) mamas out there, what's your routine? Do you remove inserts and throw everything in one bag? After they're dried, do you restuff them right away, or do you wait till you're ready to use them? Where do you store them; in a diaper bag, or in a drawer or on a shelf of your changing table? TIA!

bfoster2000 05-28-2006 08:02 PM

Re: What's your wash 'n' wear routine with pockets?

Definitely take the inserts out as soon as you're done with the diaper...just throw it all in the same pail/bag and wash it all together. As for stuffing them, when we were only using pockets at night, I usually just stuffed it while DJ was in the bath, while I was gettin his jamas and everything else ready. Now that I have a few more and am using them more often (and I'm trying to get the disaster area we call a changing table organized for two in dipes!), I've been trying to stuff them as soon as they come out of the dryer. Sometimes it works, sometimes not.

I'm fairly happy with how my changing table is organized at this exact moment, but DJ's diapers fill up the shelves so I'm going to have to figure out something else before the new baby gets here...

tararaboomdeea 05-28-2006 08:49 PM

Do you remove inserts and throw everything in one bag? Yes, I have a dry pail with a PUL liner in it. I remove inserts from diapers and toss in the pail. When it's time to do wash, I dump all the diapers out of the bag into the washer, then toss in the bag. Easy!

After they're dried, do you restuff them right away, or do you wait till you're ready to use them? I stuff most of my FB's and leave a few unstuffed for nighttime or when I know we'll be away from the house for a while. I use help inside of a micro towel and I don't use hemp any other time, so I leave some unstuffed for that. It's easier to have them stuffed already so you can just grab one and change the baby.

Where do you store them; in a diaper bag, or in a drawer or on a shelf of your changing table? I have an entire shelf of the changing table dedicated to my CD's and wipes right now. I'd like to get some other type of storage, like a small cart with drawers, but DS shares a room with us right now and we don't have any extra room for that.

hollyhobby30 05-28-2006 10:04 PM

Do you remove inserts and throw everything in one bag?I remove inserts when I change ds and shake into diaper pail.

After they're dried, do you restuff them right away, or do you wait till you're ready to use them? I stuff right away. Never stuff when your PUL is still hot though. Let them cool.

Where do you store them; in a diaper bag, or in a drawer or on a shelf of your changing table?
I have a changing table in ds's room and on the middle shelf I keep 3 wooden baskets that fit perfectly across and usually sort by light, medium and dark colors. I have to have the same amount in each or I'll go nutso!

JustAugust 05-28-2006 11:03 PM

They are all on a shelf next to his changing table. Easy to grab! I also have a basket in the living room I throw some in.

When they are dirty, I take out the inserts and throw everything into a bag. When wash day comes I grab the bag, dump it in the washer and then throw the bag in there too.

Once they are clean and dry, I stuff them and throw them back on the shelf and into the basket!

Seems a little crazy at first, but it's really not a big deal. Believe me, it's really fun actually!

mommy2zander 05-28-2006 11:17 PM

We have the pockets in one basket & the inserts in another... fun cute baskets (that were on clearance) on the bookshelf in the living room...

we used to keep the dipes & inserts in the changing table dresser (in the playroom on the mainfloor, we co-sleep, so no nursery), but we realised we did most of the changing in the living room anyway, so moved them... :giggle:

we stuff the diapers as needed, depending on day (2 inserts), night (3) or close to bed time, (just one!)...

I have also heard of people color coding day & night or number of inserts, so they can all be pre-stuffed!! We don't mind stuffing them as we go, it's part of our routine! That & grab a wipe or two by the kitchen sink & wet it down...

I believe the recommendation is always to remove the inserts to wash, which we do... & we throw them all together (along with the cloth wipes) into the wet bag...

I remember playing with our dipes while waiting for our ds to arrive! Stuffing, putting them in the drawer, etc... :D Won't be long & you will be able to find out what works best for your family!!

Kelolsen-and-Padawan 05-29-2006 12:38 AM

I take all inserts out and store them all together. I don't wash the pail liner b/c I worry that it holds too much water in it (have to empty it out) and don't want to risk that detergent being in my dipers. I try to throw it in w/ towels or something else. Anyway, I do prestuff all my diapers. I usually do this in the morning after Ethan's breakfast and he's playing. I have them all ready to go and I have a special way of "coding" my nighttime diapers. I use bumGenius for nighttime and I have a special way of fastening the tabs to let us know its a "night time" diaper. I like to have them all ready to go at any time. We change him on top of a dresser, so the first two drawers are dedicated to diaper stuff. I keep them there. When we move, if I have room, I'll keep them all in a big basket next to the changing area, to give me more drawer space as he grows.

FitMommyOf2 05-29-2006 03:51 AM

Quote:

Do you remove inserts and throw everything in one bag? Yes, I have a dry pail with a PUL liner in it. I remove inserts from diapers and toss in the pail. When it's time to do wash, I dump all the diapers out of the bag into the washer, then toss in the bag. Easy!

After they're dried, do you restuff them right away, or do you wait till you're ready to use them? I stuff most of my FB's and leave a few unstuffed for nighttime or when I know we'll be away from the house for a while. I use help inside of a micro towel and I don't use hemp any other time, so I leave some unstuffed for that. It's easier to have them stuffed already so you can just grab one and change the baby.
:yeahthat:

Where do you store them; in a diaper bag, or in a drawer or on a shelf of your changing table?
I have a complete book shelf just for CD stuff in Mason's room. Sorted by PUL pockets, pocket fitteds, night dipes, baskets w/extra inserts, wool etc.

MamaZ 05-29-2006 05:10 AM

I remove the inserts and toss them into my bag (that happily hangs outside on the porch :giggle: ) and I restuff them all before I put them in my diaper stacker once they are out of the wash :) This way they are ready to go and especially ready to go if DH is changing a dipe :giggle:

AttachedMama 05-29-2006 05:31 AM

I take the inserts out before putting them in the pail too.

When the laundry is finished I sit down and seperate everything ( different types of dipes, wipes, inserts, doublers) into piles and then stuff the pockets.

We have a big 7 drawer cart in a closet w/ 4 small drawers (for wipes, doublers, inserts, and cpf's) and 3 large drawers (AIO's, stuffed pockets, and then fitteds & covers) and it works great! Had to start using the drawers instead of my pretty baskets because DH claimed he couldn't figure out what needed covers and what didn't :D