Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   To disturb or not to disturb LO in the morning (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=963956)

krispy79 04-09-2010 05:26 AM

To disturb or not to disturb LO in the morning

My DS (15m) will spend a good hour in his crib in the morning playing (not that I leave him in there for an hour, but maybe once or twice I have while I needed to catch a few more zzz's). He laughs, sings, talks, etc. Sometimes I go in to get him and he has all of his stuffed animals lined up in one side of the crib and he is on the other side so happy and babbling.
He usually wakes up around 7ish while I am in the shower and I leave him in there until I am finished getting ready and I have his breakfast ready. Everyone I talk to says to let him play in there because he is content and working on his independence and socialization.
I am okay with leaving him there, but my mother was here last week and she insisted that I should go get him because its just not fair :headscratch: to leave him in there.
So my question is do you/would you leave your LO if they were playing in their crib/room? Poll coming...

4littlenorskes 04-09-2010 05:37 AM

Re: To disturb or not to disturb LO in the morning

I'm just curious why she thinks it's unfair?:headscratch:
My ds2 always did that, it was great! He was happy and when he was ready to get up he'd call me or if his breakfast was ready I'd go get him. I see nothing wrong with it!:thumbsup:

FallenAngel 04-09-2010 05:44 AM

i WISH mine would play in her crib lol. let me get a few things done. even when i try to clean and i put her in for a few mins.. she's not happy. lol. she only wants to sleep in it.

doodah 04-09-2010 06:19 AM

Leave him. He is happy and he will let you know if he wants out. Besides that, if you "rescue" him every time he is awake, he may start to feel that being in the crib is not okay and cry to come out even if he wakes at night. Let him play and count your blessings that he likes to be in the crib.

Mayghan 04-09-2010 06:25 AM

Leave him!!!

Both mine have done that (and still do), sometimes they just aren't ready to get up even though they are awake. Do I left them until they would yell for us and then I'd go get them right away.

UnderTheStars 04-09-2010 06:33 AM

Oh, count yourself in with the lucky ones - I think being able to entertain himself is a wonderful thing! If he were screaming crying that's a different story, but he's happy and playing so it's not like you're ignoring him. Not sure what's so unfair about letting a happy kid play :headscratch: but you are allowing him his independence and getting something done for yourself in the meantime. Win win, I say.

youngmomma 04-09-2010 06:33 AM

leave him, my little guy is 14mo and sometimes he takes naps and sometimes he plays happily in his crib for 30-45 minutes. i don't leave him alone for longer than that....but i agree that it builds independence, creativity, and allows him to learn to entertain himself. as long as you can hear him i think it's okay.

LunaBirch 04-09-2010 06:38 AM

Leave him be.. my 17 mo old does te same thing.

Swimmingly 04-09-2010 07:07 AM

I WISH! When DD was that age she always alerted us to her awakeness by screaming for us to come get her. I would have loved it if she would have played by herself for a few minutes.

3rockstars 04-09-2010 08:35 AM

leave him and count yourself lucky he's contained for a little while and happy. my girls didn't' really use cribs so that was out for us, but if they wake up in the morning and they are playing quietly(they are 9, 5, and 2) I leave them to play and read in my bed or jump into the shower until there's a problem. I can usually get about 20-30minutes on a good day of time to myself with this. I see nothing wrong iwth it. They are happy, they are playing. They don't usually leave their beds(unless they climb in one bed together) but they read and talk and giggle happily fro a little while.