Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Has your circ'd son had any complications, major or minor? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=964813)

Fleece Be With You 04-10-2010 02:44 PM

Has your circ'd son had any complications, major or minor?

Not starting the pro/anti circ debate, just curious how many mamas of circ'd boys have had to deal with complications from circumcision?

My DS unfortunately had both major complications (bleeding right after surgery, ended up needing a transfusion and a SECOND circ surgery) and now is having minor circ related issues, a buried penis and some adhesions that my pedi told me to pull back gently in the bath. He still acted like it was uncomfortable, but didn't cry, poor little guy.

crazykerry 04-10-2010 02:49 PM

Re: Has your circ'd son had any complications, major or minor?

Very sorry to hear that your son is having complications. Hopefully he gets better soon.

jac1976 04-10-2010 02:50 PM

I don't know if this counts, but my son has a "semi-circ". The doc didn't take enough foreskin off during the circumcision, so there is still a lot of skin left around the tip. He doesn't look circ'd and he doesn't look intact- he's somewhere in the middle. A few docs recommended I get him re-circ'd when he turned one, but when I pressed them as to the reasons why, they admitted it would only be cosmetic. I let them know that I wasn't going to expose my child to the risks of general anesthesia for a purely elective, cosmetic procedure. DH wasn't happy with my decision not to have it redone, but he was in Iraq, so he didn't get a say. DS will be 5 next month and it has never been an issue since.

Fleece Be With You 04-10-2010 02:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jac1976 (Post 9993200)
I don't know if this counts, but my son has a "semi-circ". The doc didn't take enough foreskin off during the circumcision, so there is still a lot of skin left around the tip. He doesn't look circ'd and he doesn't look intact- he's somewhere in the middle. A few docs recommended I get him re-circ'd when he turned one, but when I pressed them as to the reasons why, they admitted it would only be cosmetic. I let them know that I wasn't going to expose my child to the risks of general anesthesia for a purely elective, cosmetic procedure. DH wasn't happy with my decision not to have it redone, but he was in Iraq, so he didn't get a say. DS will be 5 next month and it has never been an issue since.

I'd say that still counts!

TwinKristi 04-10-2010 02:53 PM

I don't consider an adhesion a complication really unless it needs medical attention. I didn't even notice it until a well-check when the Ped said I should try to gently pull it back when he's taking a bath. He was a very "padded" baby, especially in the butt & thighs, and had a lot of padding so he little peep would get sucked in. LOL I don't consider that a complication as he never had problems with it or needed medical attention.

eta- I definatly consider your son's initial circ experience to be a serious complication and kind of the "worst case scenerio" risk aside from death but I believe bleeding afterwards is the cause when that rare death occurs. I'm sorry you haven't had the bext experience with this.

TwinKristi 04-10-2010 02:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jac1976 (Post 9993200)

This happened to one of my twins and the only way I even KNEW it was different was because I had two babies to compare to. It never caused any problems and like they said, it would only be for cosmetic reasons.

I wouldn't consider this a complication by any means!

crunchymom2b 04-10-2010 02:58 PM

DS had no complications and never even winced during diaper changes. He has a ton of skin left around the top too, in fact, sometimes when I take his diaper off the skin is all the way around the top covering the whole head. (tmi? sorry lol). I wonder if this is similar to what happened to your son Jac1776?

I'm so sorry about your son. It's never fun to see your child in pain :-(

stringbean02 04-10-2010 02:59 PM

No complications over here. DH is circed also, and sometimes if we have sex too frequently the skin right under the head of his penis will tear (yes, ouch!) he had a complication with his circ, MIL said that it started to grow back together when he was a toddler and she had to keep pulling it back. they left a lot of skin on my son, when i change his diaper sometimes his penis will be fully pulled in and i can barely see the tip poking out of the skin, i have to push it back and wipe under it.

youngmomma 04-10-2010 02:59 PM

so sorry momma...hugs to you and ds!

crunch!910 04-10-2010 03:01 PM

We've had no complications.