Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Liquids other than BM? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9664)

CMamma 05-28-2006 10:51 PM

Liquids other than BM?

I'm posting this separate b/c I think it will/did get lost in my last post about solids...

What about juice or water? Anyone give it to their babies? Or even expressed BM that's been chilled? I know this is silly but it's SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO hot right now & no kidding he is already pulling my drinks to him if I have one or sucking on the glass & I wonder if it's b/c it's cold. I don't use bottles but he will take a cup so I was wondering if I should give him a little cold water or chilled BM to help cool him down. Any thoughts?

OBTW DS is gonna be 5 mos 6/10.

Samantha 05-28-2006 11:07 PM

Re: Liquids other than BM?

I would say at that age maybe tried some chilled BM?

a_cthelen 05-28-2006 11:08 PM

IMO, I wouldn't give him juice. Water would probably be fine if he's not getting enough BM to quench his thirst. My DS is 4 months and has started reaching for my cups too, but I think that's just b/c he's interested in what I'm doing.:mrgreen:

wmama 05-29-2006 12:32 AM

My ds is just a little younger than yours, and I'm not comfortable with anything besides bm for him yet, so I would do the chilled bm if I was going to try something. If it were really hot here though, I would more likely give him something to cool off with (cold cloth or rice pack, refrigerated teether, etc), and nurse more frequently. Our bodies are so smart that they increase the water content of our milk when it's hot out to help keep baby hydrated :thumbsup:. My ds is liking cold things on his gums, so I was considering freezing some breastmilk into slush and putting it in one of those safe-feeder mesh bag things (but I probably will never actually get around to trying that :giggle:). My baby is getting in that crazy grab everything stage, too!

mommy2zander 05-29-2006 11:53 PM

Hmm, as long as you are always there to nurse your little one, I wouldn't give any other drinks...

I might offer chilled breast milk if you are unavailable to nurse ds ... but if he does drink it from the cup, I would be very careful to make sure that you pump around the same time... because you wouldn't want your body to start thinking your sweet ds needs less milk, which is what happens when you suppliment with milk pumped another day or juice...

From what I understand breastfed babies (that are fed on demand) do not need extra water, because they get the hydration they need from the breastmilk! You might consider letting him play with or suck on a cold washcloth or teething toy... But if you have further questions, it would be an excellent idea to contact the LLL leader in your area, she would know for sure!! (& I'm sure she gets asked this question a lot living in a very hot area) :hugegrin:

EasterBun 05-30-2006 01:46 AM

My DD is 11 months and I've just recently (as in the last few weeks) started offering her water in a cup, but that's mostly because she's taken *such* an interest in what we're drinking (more than grabbing at cups, she'll throw a mini-tantrum over it if she sees us drinking from across the room!), and it's not so much an "I'm thirsty" thing for her, but an "I want some too" thing ;)

To date, I don't think she's actually managed to *drink* any of it. She spits it out when she does manage to get some out of a sippy cup.

At 5 months, all they need is breastmilk... DD still nurses on demand, and some days she's definately more demanding than others, but it assures me that she's getting exactly what she needs :)

bfoster2000 05-30-2006 11:28 AM

This is probably an unpopular opinion, but while I don't think they *need* anything other than bm, I also don't think it will hurt to give other things within reason. I figure it's the same as with food...you go with the flow and do what comes naturally and don't stress out about "rules".

On the advice of our pediatrician, DJ started getting small amounts of water around 4 weeks old. I can explain why if you're interested, otherwise, I'll just let everyone assume that we were given bad advice and that I was stupid to take it. Too much water is bad for their kidneys but a little bit won't hurt and can sometimes be just what they need. We also started giving very diluted fruit juice around the same time that he started with the various fruits. I did make sure to give him 100% fruit juice (not from concentrate) and watered it down a good bit and only gave small amounts but I don't think there's anything wrong with it within reason. Oh, and DJ's gotten breastmilk in a bottle since he was born and he never minded getting it at room temp or even cooler at times. In fact, I had to exclusively pump for the first ~7 weeks and when he first started taking the breast, I think he didn't like the milk warm...he'd nurse till I let down and then make an awful face and spit it out. We started gradually warming his bottles to get him used to it and eventually he got to where he didn't mind what temp it was.

Around the time DJ was 5 or 6 months old, one of his favorite treats was ice chips in one of those mesh feeders or a cube of frozen banana in the feeder. Mom would give him plain old ice chips to suck on and he's always loved that...still does! He's almost 2 years old now and would rather have a piece of ice than a piece of candy!

hfitz5051 05-30-2006 01:42 PM

Well, I don't bf but we didn't give any juice until recently and she is almost a year. Even then it was only a bit here and there. I prefer to give her water, especially since she is so big lol. I have been given her a tiny bit of water for months now(ped's advice) It gets hot down here and she seemed to need just a drink sometimes.

Radish4ever 05-31-2006 01:44 PM

Until about 9 months, breastmilk is all that I gave Grace....... then I gave her water and occasionally gave her up to 2 oz diluted apple juice every other day or so..

MamaLove 05-31-2006 01:59 PM

I'd go with cold bm and occasional cold water. I feel that juice or too much water is not the best for young babies. BM is drink and food in one, and when it's hot we need to drink more to replace fluids, so just do what feels right! Also, coconut water and almond milk are safe alternatives.