Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   *Update*Newborn Development Question (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=967215)

kjo 04-14-2010 02:15 PM

*Update*Newborn Development Question

I called our pediatrician's office to let them know about our concerns and they want to see him next week. I did find this link about Torticollis and it sounds exactly like what we are dealing with. Just thought I'd post it for any other mamas with the same issues.

http://www.childrensmemorial.org/dep...rticollis.aspx

I feel like DS2 just isn't developing quite as quickly as DS1. He will be 3 months on the 28th. He does smile and coo at me but he doesn't make eye contact like I think he should. His head tends to fall to the right and he is always looking in that direction. We practice tummy time and in the Bumbo chair but he still doesn't push up on his arms and look around. I do think DS1 is slightly advanced for his age. He just turned 2 and speaks 5 word sentences but still I feel like DS2 should be doing more.

Any advice?

hooha03 04-14-2010 02:35 PM

Re: Newborn Development Question

My lo is also almost 3 months, and he doesn't seem to want to make eye contact either. He's always looking to the left. I've often wondered if the no eye contact thing is a problem. I don't have any other babies to compare him to, though. He does hold his head up pretty well, and he pushes up and turns over during tummy time. I don't know what to tell you, mama. I guess I'm wondering the same thing.

I just found this in another forum:

Developmental Health Watch
Alert your child's doctor or nurse if your child displays any of the following signs of possible developmental delay for this age range.

* Does not seem to respond to loud noises
* Does not notice hands by 2 months
* Does not follow moving objects with eyes by 2 to 3 months
* Does not grasp and hold objects by 3 months
* Does not smile at people by 3 months
* Cannot support head well by 3 months
* Does not reach for and grasp toys by 3 to 4 months
* Does not babble by 3 to 4 months
* Does not bring objects to mouth by 4 months
* Begins babbling, but does not try to imitate any of your sounds by 4 months
* Does not push down with legs when feet are placed on a firm surface by 4 months
* Has trouble moving one or both eyes in all directions
* Crosses eyes most of the time (occasional crossing of the eyes is normal in these first months)
* Does not pay attention to new faces, or seems very frightened by new faces or surroundings
* Experiences a dramatic loss of skills he or she once

pcjs 04-14-2010 02:50 PM

My son refused to stay on his stomach till he was ready and no he's on it non-stop. Don't worry - kids do it when they want too... he also hated the bumbo seat. Every kid is different so don't compare.

Ami in Deutschland 04-14-2010 03:32 PM

I'd be a little concerned about favoring one side. Children that young shouldn't have a "good side." In my babywearing forum, other mamas warned about that if you notice your baby always facing one side, that you should talk to your pedi. It could be a sign of muscles developing improperly and might need physiotherapy.

kjo 04-14-2010 03:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hooha03 (Post 10021984)
My lo is also almost 3 months, and he doesn't seem to want to make eye contact either. He's always looking to the left. I've often wondered if the no eye contact thing is a problem. I don't have any other babies to compare him to, though. He does hold his head up pretty well, and he pushes up and turns over during tummy time. I don't know what to tell you, mama. I guess I'm wondering the same thing.

Thanks for your reply mama! I see your LO in the pic pushing up. My little guy is no where close to that. He just gets frustrated and burys his face in the floor. Sometimes he will fall asleep on his tummy but he only slightly raises his head on his forearms. We are no where close to turning over! We have taken DS2 to the chiro several times about holding his head to the right. I do stretches that she taught me but he still favors that side. I've noticed some improvement though. I'm hoping they are just developing at a different pace and this is still considered 'normal'. We don't see the pediatrician for another month and a half but I may call them before if I'm still concerned.

kjo 04-15-2010 11:14 AM

Re: *Update*Newborn Development Question

:bump: