Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Help me buy a stroller? Graco vs. Kolcraft (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=968665)

MyM&W 04-16-2010 03:08 PM

Help me buy a stroller? Graco vs. Kolcraft

Does anyone have the Kolcraft Countours stroller? I like the looks of it and it looks like it would steer nicely. But since the price tag is so low I think "get what you pay for" and would hate for it to break in a year.
I'm also looking at the Graco Cleo which is normally $250 and is marked down to $79.99.

Does anyone have either of these strollers?

angelnalex 04-16-2010 03:12 PM

Re: Help me buy a stroller? Graco vs. Kolcraft

Quote:

Originally Posted by MyM&W (Post 10038156)
Does anyone have this stroller? I like the looks of it and it looks like it would steer nicely. But since the price tag is so low I think "get what you pay for" and would hate for it to break in a year.
I'm also looking at the Graco Cleo which is normally $250 and is marked down to $79.99.

Does anyone have either of these strollers?

What stroller the topic says Graco vs. Kolcraft but I only see the Graco cleo not the kolcraft one. Am I missing something?

MyM&W 04-16-2010 03:13 PM

sorry haha fixed it

michiko 04-16-2010 03:19 PM

I have not owned the Kolcraft, but I purchased the Graco when it first came out (for a lot more than that :banghead:) It is a great stroller aside from 2 things. 1. opening it is a PITA I thought it would get better the longer I used it, but it didnt. 2. The seat uses one of those slide recline cord things, kwim? Not a set lever to go to a certain position, you just pull the little stopper clip until it is to the recline you want. Not a horrible feature (as my City Mini is the same) but it is not what I prefer. Otherwise, I had the stroller as an addition to my Pliko P3, and aside from those few things the strollers are almost identical IMO. It has a nice generous shade, cupholders for the kids, BONUS 2 built in cupholders for the adults (LOVED that) and overall was a nice, compact, but full feature stroller. Hope that helps!! ETA: The handles almost rotate 360, to give you options in how you push it, my husband liked that as he likes to grip the stroller differently than I do.

luvsviola 04-16-2010 03:19 PM

I would not get the Kolcraft...the seat is pretty small and will be outgrown earlier.

MyM&W 04-16-2010 03:27 PM

Hmm okay thanks, does anyone have any info on the Jeep sport stroller? http://www.diapers.com/Product/Produ...roductId=20841

michiko 04-16-2010 03:33 PM

I should clarify that the opening isnt a PITA in the sense that it is hard to do or complicated, it just isnt as smooth as,say, the Pliko. The stroller is very "stiff", so when you release it to open you have to give it a push to open all the way and lock in place.

angelnalex 04-16-2010 04:00 PM

I haven't tried any of the ones you have listed but thought I would tell you about the Graco metrolite stroller I had one that I had bought with the car seat and base I loved it so much that I bought a second one in the same color for my mom to use with my dd. I purchased them 7 years ago and they have held up and I have used them all that time. The one thing I didn't like is the way they lay down there are two strings go through a piece of plastic which you pull on to let recline or pull the strings to sit back up. I grew to love that feature because it gives you more then your standard 3 position recline you are able to recline it at many angles. I believe the stroller weighs less then 20lbs which was why I had purchased it to begin with because of having scoliosis. The handle also pivots up or down to 2 or 3 positions, there are 2 cup holders for the parent a cup holder for baby and curvy round portion on the other side of baby's tray. The baby's tray unlatches from one side pulls out and twists down for ease of getting baby or an older child in and out. My dd who is 7 and about 44lbs still rides around in it from time to time and it is still easy enough for me to push. I think the max weight is 40lbs but I have had both my dd and ds in it once (because dd didn't wear the right shoes and got blisters otherwise I never would have put them both in it, I have a double stroller for that) It does fold compactly at least for a stroller of it's age :)

pcjs 04-16-2010 06:32 PM

My mom got the Kolcraft Contour to keep in her car and its not a bad stroller but the sunshade and other parts are much cheaper than our Quinny Zapp. Weight wise its average, its roomy but my son is 7 months and the bigger size wheels are nice - I looked at it for us and thought it would be too cheap to last for every day but as a second or if you aren't using it all the time, its not a bad stroller. It also has a nice basket, drink cup holder, etc. It was very easy to put together. We got hers at Sears. What I don't like its it isn't cushioned, but most strollers aren't - for my Zapp, I got the Eddie Bauer liner at Target for $10 - you could probably do that but my mom didn't care and my son doesn't so I didn't push the issue and he's not in her's that much.

Depending on your use, we got the InSTEP 2009 Run Around LTD Jogging Stroller at Babies R Us on clearance/coupon - looked like someone bought it last year, returned it and it just sat either at their house/store unopened - for under $50 and its great - I was going to splurge and get a Bob or something else but had not looked yet and saw it and liked the colors (nice reason huh) and I figured with the price if it really sucked I could return it. It is great - goes over everything, including trails really well - great for outdoors - we use the Quinny for shopping and this for the park and outdoor use... (my kid has three strollers, which is silly but that's a different issue but we couldn't find one that met our needs).