Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Pregnancy (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   pregnant and nursing (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9725)

kpapple 05-29-2006 09:09 AM

pregnant and nursing

Hi
I just found out that I am pregnant. I don't know how far along yet since I never had a period. I will know more this week. I also have a 6 month old that I am still nursing. One of the OB's in my group suggested that I consider weening him because it could be unsafe for the baby to continue to nurse. I am looking for other feedback on this subject. What expierences have you had with this? So far my milk is ok and has not dried up at all. I have tried a bottle w/formula and my son wants NOTHING to do with it. So any ideas? My concern is that what if my milk does dry up and he still does not want the bottle???
Thanks in advance for any advice!!!

Kim

SarieQ 05-29-2006 09:16 AM

Re: pregnant and nursing

Nursing during pregnancy is perfectly safe. Do a search on the internet if you find the mis/disinformation she gave you worrisome. Le Leche has quite a bit to say about it.

If you start to have problems with supply, Motherlove sells a herbal tincture designed to help maintain/increaser supply while pregnant and breastfeeding.
http://www.motherlove.com/product_mo..._glycerite.php

4kidzmom 05-29-2006 11:41 AM

I agree with the Mama above. Nursing while pregnant is safe as long as you have no complications.
There is a wonderful LLL book called Adventures in Tandem Nursing: Breastfeeding during pregnancy and beyond. It helped me out SO much when I was first pregnant, still breastfeeding, and nervous as can be.

HeidiMarie 05-29-2006 02:48 PM

Hi Kim~I'm expecting # 5 and am currently nursing my 16 mo old. I have nursed through all of my pregnancies and haven't had one problem (except tender nipples which comes and then goes for me after a few weeks). I haven't really noticed a decrease in my milk supply although my little guy is eating table food now too. As long as you aren't having any complications (preterm labor, vag bleeding, etc) it should be fine. Good luck!

Radish4ever 05-29-2006 03:53 PM

I am only 5 1/2 weeks pg, but I plan on bfing my 12 month old for as long as she wants! I haven't had any problems. I have had a miscarriage before, so of course I'm scared of another loss, but I am not going to stop doing something that my body has naturally given me to give to my DD...... Your doctor shouldn't use scare tactics like that with you!

contemplation31 05-29-2006 07:04 PM

Just remember that nipple stimulation can cause contractions! The hormones that help your uterus shrink up post partum do so by causing your uterus to contract. Though Nip Stim rarely (to put it mildly) can start labor, it can cause long drawn out ctx that arent necessarily good for you or babe. Just something for you to be aware of and keep a eye on. Listen to your body, it'll let you know if you should stop :hugs:

Eat healthy and continue your pre-natal vit's!

bfoster2000 05-29-2006 10:51 PM

Check out: http://www.kellymom.com/bf/tandem/index.html
and http://www.nursingtwo.com as well as the book the pp mentioned called "Adventures in Tandem Nursing".

Nursing during pregnancy and tandem nursing is a very personal decision and a very complicated one, especially given your little one's age. It is *in most cases* safe although many people will tell you that it's not. I believe kellymom has some myth vs. fact articles that address various studies that have been done on mothers who nurse during pregnancy. It is true that nursing/pumping releases oxytocin which causes uterine contractions, but the human body is an amazing thing. Since you've been nursing all along, your body is used to the oxytocin and has a certain tolerance to it. It wouldn't be a good idea to start nursing/pumping at this stage of the game, but there shouldn't be any problems with continuing what you've been doing. Does that make sense?

You do need to read up on the issue and be aware of warning signs to watch for in your own body and your baby, but there's no reason to wean "just because" you're pregnant. You also need to be aware of the implications of continuing to breastfeed right now. Pregnancy causes changes in your own body and will more than likely change how you handle nursing. When I got pregnant, nursing became excruciatingly painful and by 4 months, that had not subsided at all...honestly, even now at 31 weeks, my breasts and nipples are still EXTREMELY tender and sore...much moreso than with either of my previous pregnancies. Some women have complained of nursing causing nausea. There are emotional issues too...during my first trimester, I got to the point where I had so much anxiety (or something) that it was almost painful for my toddler to even touch me...I just *NEEDED* my space. Call me selfish but I would literally shake and almost hyperventilate when he tried to cuddle sometimes. I was frequenting another discussion board at the time and I felt a LOT of pressure to continue nursing and even tandem after the new baby was born and that pressure led to guilt because I wasn't loving it, etc. After I read some of the articles and stories in the resources I listed above, I really began to feel like I had a choice in whether to wean or continue. I know that sounds silly, but it was liberating. Once I felt that I did have a choice, I really felt better about continuing. DJ was 15 months when I found out I was pregnant again so my situation was a little different from yours, but I still decided that I was not ready to "force" him to wean yet. I decided that the best approach for us was a compromise where I encouraged him to reduce the frequency and duration of his nursing to a level that we could both live with. That got me through the first trimester. My milk did dry up and by the time I was about 4 months (DJ was 19 months at the time), he slowly stopped asking to nurse at all and he hasn't done it since January. I'm a little worried about what will happen when the new baby gets here and starts getting "his" boobies, but I am a lot more confident that up until this point, we've rolled with the punches and did what came naturally for both of us, so hopefully that mentality will continue to work for us after the baby is born.

I don't *plan* on getting pregnant again right away after this baby is born, but if I do, I will have to look at the big picture and consider all the different factors and decide what is best for all of us regarding continuing or weaning. Like I said, it's a very personal, very complicated decision. Just know that you DO have a choice and whether you continue to exclusively breastfeed, begin supplementing, or wean altogether, there are pros and cons for all three of you and you have to do what YOU feel is right. Good luck with whatever you decide...this is one of those questions where there is no right or wrong!

cblurose 05-30-2006 07:12 AM

I'm also pregnant with #5 and have breastfed during all my pregnancies.
Mine all have weaned around 5 or 6 months pregnant.
#1 was only 6 months old when I got pregnant with #2.
She nursed until I was almost 6 months pregnant.
I just gave her water in a sippy toward the end.
Make sure diapers are wet.

SarieQ 05-30-2006 08:23 AM

#1 was only 3 1/2 months old when I got pregnant with #2. I managed to breastfeed her until I was two months pregnant, but then my supply dropped dramatically despite various remedies I tried to increase supply. So I was forced to wean her around six months. It was sad. She was being so playful the last couple times she nursed. She took to a bottle and formula pretty well, though. I'm planning to let her resume nursing if she wants when #2 is born in July or August, but I'm kind of thinking it unlikely that she'll desire to.

kpapple 06-04-2006 07:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kpapple
Hi
I just found out that I am pregnant. I don't know how far along yet since I never had a period. I will know more this week. I also have a 6 month old that I am still nursing. One of the OB's in my group suggested that I consider weening him because it could be unsafe for the baby to continue to nurse. I am looking for other feedback on this subject. What expierences have you had with this? So far my milk is ok and has not dried up at all. I have tried a bottle w/formula and my son wants NOTHING to do with it. So any ideas? My concern is that what if my milk does dry up and he still does not want the bottle???
Thanks in advance for any advice!!!

Kim

First I wanted to say thank you to everyone who has given me advice. Here is a update. Friday I went and actually saw a doctor ( not the one who suggested I wean). I had a ultrasound done and I am 7 weeks and 5 days now and the due date is Jan 16. The doctor I saw just told me to keep nursing and if I had to make changes my body would let me know. So far everything is going well. Thanks again for your encouragment and advice!!

Kim