Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Some sort of bug/parasite in DSs stool (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=973954)

idma2three 04-25-2010 03:32 AM

Some sort of bug/parasite in DSs stool

This evening DS and a pretty loose BM. My 13 year old niece changed him and said something about his poop looking wierd/having something in it. When I took the diaper to spray it off I looked closey. There appeared to be 3 bugs that looked somewhat like earwigs. I immediately called our on call ped since the office was closed. He seemed fairly confident that it was nothing to freak out about. He said if I noticed anything else to come in Monday. He pooped 3 times since then. He is on a liquid laxitive (generlac) for constipation, and after giving it to him for 3 days he loosened up A LOT. They all had the same bug things in them. I called back and got an appt. for tomorrow AM. In the mean time I have been searching online for any info and am coming up blank.

Any ideas about what could be going on? I am sitting here at 3:30am with DS sleeping on my lap, and can't sleep.

MamaWillow 04-25-2010 03:52 AM

Re: Some sort of bug/parasite in DSs stool

:hugs: mama that sounds crazy! I don't have any idea what it would be, but since you are heading to the doc tomorrow I wouldn't worry too much. Nothing will happen between now and then...he'll probably just keep pooping which is good cuz maybe it will get them out of there. Keep up posted!

Queen_Celeste 04-25-2010 04:47 AM

I would freak out too if I saw what looked like nasty bugs in my son's diapers. I hope things turn out ok! :hugs:

Terra 04-25-2010 05:49 AM

No advice except I don't agree with the it's probably nothing! Better to have it checked out and be safe than sorry! :hugs: :pray: Keep us updated!

bridget222 04-25-2010 06:45 AM

Are they white? If so they could be threadworms, which although sounds fairly horrible, actually aren't that uncommon in children. It can be treated by your Dr. and he'll be fine. From what I have looked up is that you just don;t want to totally ignore them, because they end up stealing your childs nutrients leading to malnourishment. Seeing these in your childs diaper is actually a good sign...meaning they are not in his intestines anymore..maybe the laxative is helping to get rid of them. (That is just a guess though)
I would go to you Dr.'s on Monday with a sample if possible and just make sure that is what your are dealing with. The site I found recommended having all family members treated because they can live for 2 weeks on sheets, and blankets and other surfaces. They also said to wash all bedding in hot water once everyone is being treated.

Hope this helps and your little guy is feeling better soon

momof3boys1girl 04-25-2010 08:36 AM

i was thinking pin worms? VERY common in children and the spread from kid to kid fast :( def keep us updated.

wordmama 04-25-2010 08:37 AM

I second the idea of trapping one in a container to show your ped. There can be a ton of parasites that can live in the human body and they'll need to identify what it is to treat it properly. But as gross as it is, it won't cause any harm between now and then. It's just a good idea to get it looked at. As the PP said these can rob the body of nutrients.

j+csmama 04-25-2010 09:29 AM

Yup, I agree with PPs about taking a sample in to get ID'd. I know I would freak at first, but at least he's pooping and they're coming out! Keep us updated mama.

Maverick's Mama 04-25-2010 09:32 AM

So sorry mama! I would have freaked out! I agree about pin worms, but they look nothing like ear wigs....they look like little white worms.

Keep us posted and good luck!

angelnalex 04-25-2010 10:27 AM

mama don't worry, the vast majority of people have parasites. I know this sounds horrible but is so true. I believe it has a lot to do with processed foods, and meat are large carriers of parasites. The fact that you see them in his stool can be positive since that meens for whatever reason they are leaving his body. I would check with the pedi just to make sure that these ones are not the kind that steal nutrients from you lo.