Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   In The Kitchen (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   ALDI - can anyone give opinions? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=979163)

hullabal98 05-03-2010 08:00 AM

ALDI - can anyone give opinions?

We have an ALDI opening near us very soon. What is your opinion about the quality of their food, especially meats & produce?

natesgirl 05-03-2010 08:41 AM

Re: ALDI - can anyone give opinions?

they are the same company as Trader Joes
FIL loves Aldi's we dn't have one here they are nice though
but he hates TJ's so I tease him all the time

keonli 05-03-2010 08:49 AM

We love our Aldi's but not everything is great. Fortunately for us, the produce is good at the one down the street from us. I love their small nectarines for $3.99 a bag. They are so flavorful!

I also love their milk, juices, eggs, and fitactive snacks. I don't really buy their meats, although I will sometimes buy the small whole chickens.

4boys1girlforme 05-03-2010 08:51 AM

We love Aldi's! I don't buy meat there (I buy in bulk at a wholesale club) but their produce and dairy are great quality and the prices are much less than groceries at Wal-mart!

goingfor3 05-03-2010 11:23 AM

Their meat is better and cheaper than Wally-world.
I like some of their produce, but not others. I don't get lettuce/cabbage there, and proceed with caution on the other produce. Although I proceed with caution on produce from every grocery store!
Their canned veggies are a good value, but I don't like their chicken/beef broth.
Snacks like pretzels, chips, etc are very cheap, but I think much lower taste quality than the name brands. Good though if you are cutting out the expensive snacks from the budget.

I really like their spaghetti sauce and it is only $1 (plus or minus), although last time I got mushroom, and didn't care for that one :(
Milk is the cheapest price anywhere.
Like any new product, just try one of each item before stocking up. You will not notice a difference on some things, like the price difference enough not to care on some things, and possibly hate other things.
Yippee that you should be able to start saving some money though!!!!

2queens&1princenmyhouse 05-03-2010 02:19 PM

Aldi's is my go-to store. I go there first and buy everything on my list that they sell and then go from there to the other stores (grocery store loss leaders excluded). I haven't had a problem with produce, per se, but I am very picky when I buy it to begin with and we eat our fresh items up pretty quickly. We have only purchased hams, and deli meat, bacon, etc (packaged items). The hams are good, but I cannot give opinions of other meats.

BNC 05-03-2010 02:26 PM

it really depends on your aldi. the one by me has awesome meat and produce. the one by my sister (30 minutes away) has crappy meat and produce.

Also, their milk is all hormone free, and only $1.78 a gallon!

hullabal98 05-03-2010 03:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by natesgirl (Post 10160506)
they are the same company as Trader Joes
FIL loves Aldi's we dn't have one here they are nice though
but he hates TJ's so I tease him all the time

ooooh, I love TJ's and really miss having one. There are NONE in Texas. :( Does Aldi's have the yummy meals-in-a-bag like Trader Joe's?

Quote:

Originally Posted by BNC (Post 10163558)
Also, their milk is all hormone free, and only $1.78 a gallon!

That is reason enough! :thumbsup: thank you so much!

Queen_Celeste 05-03-2010 03:35 PM

The milk here is more like $2.80, but that's cheaper than every other place local.

Some of the stuff is gross, our store has great produce and they keep prices somewhat low by getting food locally. I have heard of several local farms that sell produce to Aldi.

Queen_Celeste 05-03-2010 03:35 PM

The milk here is more like $2.80, but that's cheaper than every other place local.

Some of the stuff is gross, our store has great produce and they keep prices somewhat low by getting food locally. I have heard of several local farms that sell produce to Aldi.