Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Diaper Chatter and Q & A (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   HELP! Major repelling issue & I can't make it go away!!! :( (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9814)

jami_sier 05-29-2006 03:37 PM

HELP! Major repelling issue & I can't make it go away!!! :(

i have VERY hard water. that's an understatement. i noticed that w/in the past week or so, ALL my CDs are repelling water. i pour some water in a perfectly dry, clean dipe & it just pools. the water goes nowhere.

i have stripped, w/ dawn, all dipes 2x & have rinsed at least 15 times.....with calgon & w/ nothing but plain old water & vinegar.

i had been using Sportwash in the past & it hurt DD's little bum, so i switched to Tide Free. i have a front loader, so there's not a lot of water to be had during the wash/rinse cycle.

how am i supposed to get my dipes back into rotation??? i'm so upset that my stash is apparently ruined. :fit:

Elphaba71 05-29-2006 05:10 PM

Re: HELP! Major repelling issue & I can't make it go away!!! :(

Try RLR! It worked magic for me when nothing else did. It's a laundry additive that's usually sold in little balls (slightly larger than golf balls) hanging on clips in the laundry aisle.

Hayley 05-29-2006 05:13 PM

Have you tried using a GENERIC laundry detergent? these have less additives and are better for CD believe it or not. also adds some baking soda this will help soften the water!

Good Luck

Shaineinok 05-29-2006 07:10 PM

I am reading more and more on repelling and stink issues and am starting to suspect front loaders. My suggestion is to take them to the laundrymat, wash on hot a couple times with maybe Sun detergent and see if that helps. It may be that front loaders do not allow enough water to completly rinse them. If it doesn't then it's got to be the hard water. So maybe the rlr or a water softener might be helpful.

SarahJane 05-29-2006 07:18 PM

I have really hard water too, but do have a top loading machine. The first few weeks I didn't know that I should fill the water to the top and I had some repelling issues. I don't think they are ruined, you just need to get them to release the soap an mineral deposits. I'd definately try RLR, as it's even on the diaper sites as a solution, so it can't hurt. I can't use all natural detergents, I have to rotate my detergents too to make sure I don't get build up. I also wash my pockets and inserts separately and never was PUL bags with dipers, they hold too much soap. Have you tried cleaning your washing machine? Somewhere, humm, a vinagar site I think explained how to clean a washer. I find the site I'll e-mail you. I was amazed at all the soap crud in mine, I did it before I started washing my diapers and should probably do it again soon. I think it was half a cup of baking soda and 1 cup of vin. (This is without your diapers), then another load without additives on high, then cold. Wash and wipe between emptys of machine.

Good luck!

SJ

jami_sier 05-29-2006 08:11 PM

okay, i will try RLR at a laundrymat (i had planned on making that trip as my next step....i, too, think that front loaders can be a culprit. no more detergent for me most likely).

hadn't thought about washing the PUL bag separately, but that makes sense.

i also use aquaphor on DD's bum as she is prone to diaper rash & it has completely eliminated her rash (that & switching from sportwash). i guess i should probably find an alternative that won't potentially cause buildup. any suggestions? something that won't break the bank, ideally.

thank you so much for your suggestions, ladies. i really appreciate it! it just makes me cringe to think of the $$$$ that i spent on her stash, only to not use them!

lararum 05-29-2006 08:21 PM

I have a front loader and really hard water too. When the dipes are not behaving I put them in for a hot prewash with nothing added and then an extra long hot/cold cycle(no additives). Then I run them on a regular hot/cold cycle(no additives). It seems to kick the repelling prob. I just switched to cheapo sun detergent, seems to be working better. I also have noticed I needed to add more detergent, I was using maybe a tablespoon before. Now I put in about a third of the cap. Hard water seems to require more detergent.
Use fleece liners with your dipes, or try an olive oil based salve for diaper rash.

rowynne 05-29-2006 09:18 PM

My ideas: RLR, cheap detergent or washing soda with simple green, strip the washing machine with vinegar, and for the bum...try dixie babies butt balm, its safe for CDs Also about twice a month I add a squirt of dawn right to my wash & I only put my PUL bags thru the cold rinse I do at the beginning & then rinse them out when I run my wash water.