Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   In The Kitchen (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   help me with breakfast (healthy baked goods maybe) (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=981993)

CarrieAnn0413 05-07-2010 07:11 AM

help me with breakfast (healthy baked goods maybe)

Ok, I have an issue with breakfast. I never feel like eating breakfast but half hour into my day I am hungry but nothing is appealing. I don't even care if it is breakfast food. I have been doing eggs but am tired of that. The only thing that sounds good which I never have in the house is sweet baked goods (muffins, doughnuts, etc...:blush:) So I am thinking of trying to make some healthy breakfast/sweet muffins to have in the freezer ready for those morning when I don't know what to eat. Preferably low in sugar (minimal processed sugar, fruit is ok) and bonus if it has good amount of protein in it. Anyone have any recipes to share? Breads, muffins, cookies, bars, granola type bars....
TIA

crystalanne79 05-07-2010 08:59 AM

Re: help me with breakfast (healthy baked goods maybe)

This is my oatmeal muffin recipe that I love!
Ingredients

Milk, nonfat, 1 cup
Cinnamon, ground, 1 tsp
Applesauce, unsweetened, 0.25 cup
Baking Powder, 1 tsp
Baking Soda, 0.25 tsp
Brown Sugar, 0.25 cup, packed
Oats, 1 cup
Egg white, 2 serving
Flax Seed Meal (ground flax), 1 tbsp
Whole Wheat Flour, 1 cup

Directions

Mix together the oats and milk and let soak while you mix the dry ingredients in a seperate bowl. Once the dry ingredients are together add in the oats and milk mixture as well as the eggs and vanilla.

Bake at 375 for 24 minutes.

Number of Servings: 12

CarrieAnn0413 05-07-2010 09:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crystalanne79 (Post 10195756)
Ingredients

Milk, nonfat, 1 cup
Cinnamon, ground, 1 tsp
Baking Powder, 1 tsp
Baking Soda, 0.25 tsp
Oats, 1 cup
Egg white, 2 serving
Whole Wheat Flour, 1 cup

Directions

Mix together the oats and milk and let soak while you mix the dry ingredients in a seperate bowl. Once the dry ingredients are together add in the oats and milk mixture as well as the eggs and vanilla.

Sounds Good! Thanks so much for sharing. will give them a try. one question...is the egg white, 2 servings just 2 egg whites? I didn't want to assume so and have the muffins turn out funny. Thanks again!

afruitfulvine 05-08-2010 10:39 AM

How about homemade yogurt and granola? You could also use the yogurt for fruit smoothies. Both of these are easy and cost-effective as well. Lindsay at passionatehomemaking.com has excellent recipes for these as well as muffins, etc.

CarrieAnn0413 05-08-2010 02:26 PM

Thanks for the site! I have never made granola but ready to give it a try :) Thanks

sonjag 05-09-2010 07:22 PM

how about apples and pb, or oatmeal breakfast bars (you can find on the quaker oats homepage). I also like to add different things to my oatmeal (which I make the real stuff, not the quick microwavable kind) like apple butter, or cocoa and a little sugar, or molasses and raisins. Oatmeal does a good job of keeping you full for a while. I also love quinoa-it is like rice or couscous kind of but it is a full protein. I just warm it up and put a little butter on.

mama2jack 05-10-2010 04:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crystalanne79 (Post 10195756)
Ingredients

Milk, nonfat, 1 cup
Cinnamon, ground, 1 tsp
Baking Powder, 1 tsp
Baking Soda, 0.25 tsp
Oats, 1 cup
Egg white, 2 serving
Whole Wheat Flour, 1 cup

Directions

Looks yummy, I'll have to try it. One question though, have you ever made it w/ whole eggs? I hate wasting the yolk.

crystalanne79 05-11-2010 07:57 AM

I use 2 egg whites. You can use one whole egg instead but I came up with the recipe because I was looking for low calorie. Most muffin recipes are 150+ calories each and these are only 92 each.

mama2jack 05-11-2010 12:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crystalanne79 (Post 10222148)
I use 2 egg whites. You can use one whole egg instead but I came up with the recipe because I was looking for low calorie. Most muffin recipes are 150+ calories each and these are only 92 each.

great, thanks :goodvibes:

kotzally 05-12-2010 11:10 AM

How much vanilla for the Oatmeal muffins?

For a quick and yummy breakfast, we like to take a whole wheat tortilla, spread peanut butter on it, zap it in the microwave for 10-15 seconds and then drizzle honey, roll it up and there you go!