Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   newbie babywearing question (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=98532)

yellowcampcat 02-12-2007 11:49 AM

newbie babywearing question

I just have 3 slings, and my baby is getting bigger, so I thought I'd branch into asian style or soft bodied carriers. I am petite 5'2" and 110lbs. Any ideas on what would be good for me? I plan to use it mostly for back carries and long walks. Should I try a wahm first, to see if I like the style, or go for a name brand one that I can get used? I want something that will have decent resale value if I decide I don't like it, kwim? I've heard good things about babyhawk. Any suggestions? Thanks!

I've been spending alot of time over at TBW, researching, but I'm feeling a little overwhelmed.:blush:

babydirtybike 02-12-2007 12:08 PM

Re: newbie question

Just my:2cents:

Some of the wahm are wonderfully made mei tais(abc's) and some are really poorly made with cheap fabric that is not supportive or comfortable. Unless you know for sure what you are getting, I'd be careful.

Babyhawks are great. They come in 3 size now and you can usually find a nice on fsot to try out. Some people prefer a narrower body with a newborn, but my ds was in a BHxt from only a couple weeks old and we loved it.

Kozy is another really popular brand as is Sachi, Freehand, Mei tai baby...I could keep going.

I would head over to thebabywearer.com and look their too. lmk if I can help anymore. Hope I didn't confuse:goodvibes:

yellowcampcat 02-13-2007 08:56 AM

Re: newbie babywearing question

any help??:mrgreen:

yellowcampcat 02-14-2007 03:18 PM

any other help?:headscratch:

MyGlorylife 02-14-2007 03:32 PM

my fav soft structure is a type of MT that had a waist belt- which is super comfy and cuts down on all the ties (thats the only thing I don't like about MT/ABC's) it is www.babiesbeyondborders.com
If you buy WAHM- and bbb is one- and you can find some good wahm deals- make sure it is one that a lot of people have used/ has reviews for. MT/ABC can be really persikity- they are harder to get the right then other carriers as far as personal fit goes imo. A well known carrier you have a better gage but an unknown wahm is a real shot in the dark with these kind of carriers. Ergos are nice but I think the BBB is far superior. Kozy's, Babyhawks, ball baby- all good basic MT's!:thumbsup:

ktlady 02-14-2007 04:01 PM

MTs are great! All the brands mentioned above are great products. I aslo agree with the pp about well made and not so well made WAHM carriers. I would be careful of ebay for carriers. If you have questions - ask the WAHM about the carriers she makes. It should be a three layer or at least two heavier weight layers for the body. The straps should be a good fabric too. Not all WAHM pad the straps - so there is another question.

FSOT is a great place to find something you might like for a little less money. Another idea is to see if there is a NINO group in your area. My group is great for trying things out before you buy.
www.nineinnineout.org

Hope this helps...