Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Lets talk Baby Names (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=988255)

mrscompgeek 05-17-2010 06:23 AM

Lets talk Baby Names

Im not pregnant and dont plan to start trying for #2 until next fall when DD turns 2. But I am obsessed with baby names!!
I would especially love to hear your baby names that have good meanings to them. Cause this one girl at our church just named her daughter Kennedy and I just looked it up and it means "ugly face", I dont think I could name my daughter that knowing what it means!! Ya know?

My daughter's name is Kianna (Ky-Anna not Key-ana) Brielle. Kianna means Living with grace and brielle means God is my strength.

beesbaby2 05-17-2010 07:11 AM

Re: Lets talk Baby Names

I don't know any names off the top of my head, but when I was preggo I would go to www.babynamegenie.com. You can post polls or get suggestions. Go to the POLLS section. Beware though, half of the people on there are 13 year olds that are staying up too late, lol!

annemarie72 05-17-2010 07:23 AM

I didnt really look into the meanings behind the names when i picked names.... im half afraid to now lol. i donthave any names but just wanted to say i think its awesome that your so well thought an planned :) good luck to you on picking your name, and your daughters name is beautiful :)

beesbaby2 05-17-2010 07:43 AM

I though of names, then looked them up to make sure they didn't mean anything terrible so the kid wouldn't get teased later. Names have different meaning depending on which source you look up and may have different meanings in different countries/cultures. I looked up Kennedy and the site that I looked up says it is Irish for "helmet head," lol! Then it goes on to say the English as a first name was inspired by President Kennedy and Nigel Kennedy. There is also a movement for last names as first for girls, like Emerson, Reagan, etc.

I looked up my girls' names and have found various meanings, but they are all similar and nothing scary. My goal was uncommon names, but not totally out there or made up. I picked names in the 900's for popularity, but I just notice the SSA published their most popular baby names of 2009, and my girls' names dropped off the top 1000, which is kind of cool!

Icryinbaseball 05-17-2010 08:24 AM

Cadence is my oldest and it means rythem. That is why she was named Cadence. I did not hear it off of American Pie, and she was not named Cadence bc i have a miltary affiliation. I picked out her name when i was 13 bc i was in the Marching band on the Drum line and that was a very important part of my life. And it was not even close to being popular when i chose it 16 years ago.

Courtney means short nose. I chose Courtney bc that was a name that has been in our family for a while and my mom wanted to have a daughter named courtney, but never had any more kids.

Kason Means Helmet. I chose Kason when i chose Cadence. So that was chosen 16 years ago also. It is a strong name and a not so common name. Yes i know there are others out there, but not enough to make me worry about him being Kason S. his entire school career.

Kaia means the Sea. No special meaning. Just a name i heard and i liked.

rigashi 05-17-2010 08:31 AM

I'm with beesbaby2, I pick names that I like and then look up the meanings afterwards. DH is really into meanings though, so there's very very VERY few names that he actually likes. So picky sheesh!

jmrw2 05-17-2010 08:50 AM

My ODS is Brian Josiah, partly because Brian was the best man at our wedding and DH's best friend and the time, and also because Brian means "strong" and Josiah means "warrior of the Lord", so put together his name has a very strong meaning. YDS is George Adelbert. I forget what it means...he's named after his paternal great grandfather.

whitneywalters 05-17-2010 09:57 AM

We decided to wait to TTC until Dec which makes me sad but the timing will be better but we already have our future baby named.

boy will be either William Christopher ( my husband is Christopher William ) or Jeremiah Arthur ( our friend Jeremy was killed by a drunk driver and Arthur was my grandpas name that I lost a couple years ago )

A girl will be Amelia Jean ( my middle name is Jean )

Right now we have Alexzander Michael ( middle name is my dads middle name ) Destiny Nadine ( middle name is my moms middle name ) and Kairi Marlene ( middle name is his moms middle name )

new2allthis 05-17-2010 09:57 AM

I fell in love with the name Felicity when I was in middle school. I LOVE that it means happiness and honestly it fits dd perfectly. She has got to be the happiest baby. She is forever smiling.

new2allthis 05-17-2010 10:01 AM

Oh and I am obsessed with names as well. I only have my one dd but I have 2 other girl names picked and 2 boy names.
Girls:
Elinor Marcella (Elinor because I love the name, spelled this way because of Elinor Dashwood, also we wanted an E name as both our mothers initials are E M-Marcella because it is MIL's middle name)
Cordelia Mabel
Boys:
Jesse Bright IV (called Brighton)
Lexington Alexander (called Lex)