Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Do your kids have a t.v. in their room? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=988423)

z2akids 05-17-2010 10:12 AM

Do your kids have a t.v. in their room?

I noticed in another post about bedtime that it sounds like a lot of kids might have t.v. in their room.

Just wondering if your little ones have a t.v. in their room. If they do, are they allowed to watch whenever?

Poll to follow.

z2akids 05-17-2010 10:15 AM

Re: Do your kids have a t.v. in their room?

To answer my own question, my kids do not have a television in their rooms (8, 6 and 5). DH did recently put a t.v. in their toyroom (a little 19" that has a dvd player in it). But, they almost never turn it on. I do prefer for them to watch t.v. in the room that I am in, so that I can supervise the content of what they're watching.

DaisyDiaper728 05-17-2010 10:16 AM

I voted no, we don't have a TV at all...b/c we don't. We do however have a laptop and lots of DVD's and of course Hulu, Netflix, etc.
DD is only 1 so she might get an occasional (like once every 2 weeks) partial show of The Wiggles or something similar to keep her distracted when I'm trying to get things done.

MrsLiberty 05-17-2010 10:17 AM

Nope. We don't do TV's in bedrooms (including ours!) in this house. We have one TV, and it's in the living room. Many days, I want to get rid of it because my husband is so hooked on it. It's like he can't be home and NOT have the TV on, which disturbs me because it's just not at all what I consider normal. At least it's only one TV, though. I'd never put one in a bedroom, though, unless it was for a much older kid (a teenager, or thereabout).

MOMMY2LOTSAKIDS 05-17-2010 10:18 AM

I voted yes we co-sleep and have one in our room, but my two older kids have their own rooms and DO NOT have TVs. They've asked, but I always tell them that I never had a TV in my own room, and I managed just fine! If they are going to watch TV it has to be in the family room where we can all watch as a family. As for the one in our bedroom, we usually just watch the news in the mornings and evenings, and occasionally will let a kid watch a movie in there, if they are sick for example.

annemarie72 05-17-2010 10:18 AM

we have a tv in their room , but they seldom watch it, maybe for an hour during quiet time in the mid afternoon when the youngest is sleeping but thats about it. i dont want them to *isolate* for one and secondly i dont want them watching to much tv. its to nice outside and so much more for us to do together outside :)

sUpermOm81 05-17-2010 10:18 AM

No, the boys dont. We have one in our room and the baby sleeps with us, but its never on.

Sweet_Fantasy_Fox 05-17-2010 10:22 AM

Yes, we have a tv in every room. My kids get to watch tv whenever they want, but once it is bedtime, we unplug it from the wall so they can't sneak it on. dd used to wait for us to go to bed and then get up and turn on the dvd player and watch tv really late, we caught her so now it gets unplugged at 8pm.

imasupernova 05-17-2010 10:24 AM

Yes, my kids have tv's in their room. The younger boys do not have a TV, just my older son. They go to his room for video games that are monitored and only allowed if chores are completed and they cash in stars for an hour of play. They can also earn extra stars for extra play by doing odd jobs, etc.

The girls have a tv in their room but they don't watch it. Usually they are playing their cd player or watch dvds on occassion like a dvd of my daughters recent theatre act she did at school. No cable or anything in their rooms or they would be glued to their tvs.

Outnumbered 05-17-2010 10:38 AM

No. We already watch too much TV without them in their rooms. LOL