Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Just got a letter from our medical group; they want me to RE-vax DD!!! (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=988932)

cassondruh 05-17-2010 08:32 PM

Just got a letter from our medical group; they want me to RE-vax DD!!!

So apparently the refrigerators and freezers where the vaccines were kept (at our medical group facility) were evaluated. The evaluation showed that the vaccines were stored in temperatures outside the recommended ranges.

My letter states, "While the Oregon Public Health Division, U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, and PHMG all agree that the affected vaccines were safe, we cannot guarantee that they were at their most effective strength. Vaccine effectiveness is studied only within a certain temperature range, so effectiveness at other temperature ranges is unknown. To ensure the highest protection against vaccine preventable diseases, we recommend that patients who received immunizations affected by these temperature fluctuations have some of the doses repeated. Although re-vaccination is not required for school or day care, it is recommended by the Oregon Public Health Division and the CDC."

My medical group says they took immediate action about the temperatures in the affected refrigerators and freezers, and instilled a temperature monitoring system as well as brand new refrigerators and freezers.
They want me to call so they can carefully evaluate DD's medical records to see which vaccines they have made notes of (potentially sub-potent vaccines). If I choose to re-vaccinate, the vaccinations are at no cost to me...

Sigh.
My DD is 3, and is pretty much up to date on her vaccines with the exception of 2 shots that I refused. So it could have been a LOT of vaccines that were "sub-potent."
Honestly, I think it scares me a little more to have her re-vaccinated than knowing her shots were sub-potent... Anyone else have this happen??

What would you do if you received a letter like this about your child's vaccines?? :banghead:

3rockstars 05-17-2010 08:35 PM

Re: Just got a letter from our medical group; they want me to RE-vax DD!!!

i would refuse. at the very most, i would get her titres checked(blood tests) for acceptable levels of immunity and have proof of that on file with the med group. but i would NOT revaccinate my children.

shelbell 05-17-2010 08:36 PM

I would ask for titers to be run.

Naturally Wise 05-17-2010 08:40 PM

I'm so sorry this happened to you! Are there any studies about the effectiveness of subpotent vaccinations? I wouldn't think it would be like they never happened. I'd probably not revax. Maybe get blood levels checked as the pp's mentioned, and the clinic can foot the bill.

3Xblessed 05-17-2010 08:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shelbell (Post 10276205)

ditto

Dory 05-17-2010 08:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shelbell (Post 10276205)

This, & at no cost to you. It wasn't your responsibility to keep tabs on how they stored the vaccines, it was theirs. So they should bare the cost of checking her titres.

pcjs 05-17-2010 08:45 PM

I agree - get the levels check - I had to do it at a job I worked it - better to do that first (I agree with vax, but not twice). And, I wouldn't want them to do it.

cassondruh 05-17-2010 08:46 PM

Oh, I wish they would have mentioned getting DD's titres/blood checked for the effectiveness of the vax she received. I was unaware this could even be done!
Thank you ladies, I will call the medical group tomorrow and ask about getting this done at no cost.
This just infuriates me. I wonder how many tiny babies are going in to get re-vaxed! This scares me for those little tiny babies especially... Wouldn't a double dose just overload an immune system that small?

JAG's baby mama 05-17-2010 08:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cassondruh (Post 10276328)
Oh, I wish they would have mentioned getting DD's titres/blood checked for the effectiveness of the vax she received. I was unaware this could even be done!
Thank you ladies, I will call the medical group tomorrow and ask about getting this done at no cost.
This just infuriates me. I wonder how many tiny babies are going in to get re-vaxed! This scares me for those little tiny babies especially... Wouldn't a double dose just overload an immune system that small?

They wouldn't mention this because it will cost them $$$ to do this. It will be cheaper if your doc office is "owned" by a hospital, but still they'd not volunteer.

Good luck with getting the labs done for free. You might ask to have any balances left over from whatever payment your insurance company makes (if any) be written off. You might get farther by offering that as a solution.

They have already told you what their solution is (re-vax). Don't be surprised if they turn you down flat.

AFM: yes, I'd do the titers. yes I'd let them bill my insurance for the cost, and no I would not re-vax even if the titers came back negative or low on antibodies. I'd wait until my child was older if there were any really necessary ones I'd want re-done.

Good Luck!:thumbsup:

staceyroo77 05-17-2010 09:04 PM

Yep, I agree w/ requesting titers be drawn, or insist rather. It should be on them, and I wouldn't re-vax without having the titers drawn first to see if it's is even necessary. We don't vax anymore, and one reason is I'm afraid there would be some type of mix up and they would document or not document something and my kiddos receive a vax twice. I'm still not sure that this didn't happen w/ DD1, when she was 2-3 months old. She received her vaccines and a few days later the doctor office called and said they had missed one and wanted me to come catch up on the one they forgot to give her. Even now I still wonder if they just forgot to document her vaccine. Then at her 4 yr well child appointment, our doctor was discussing w/ me catching up on her vaccines, and told me that he didn't have recorded certain ones, then I realized, he didn't have it b/c out previous doc didn't send it over after several requests for medical records. I knew she had had her vaccines up to 2 yrs old and the one they wanted her to get she had up to date. I'm glad I was refusing anyway.