Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   I HATE my neighbor's dog. (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=988944)

nemawei 05-17-2010 08:44 PM

I HATE my neighbor's dog.

My neighbor's dog has been put outside at 7pm every night for the past five nights.

My neighbor (also a single mom) has then left the house until 9 or 10.

The dog barks the entire time.

I have tried speaking to her about it, but her response is "your dog barks too". MY DOG IS NEVER LEFT OUTSIDE BARKING FOR MORE THAN A FEW BARKS AND DEFINITELY NOT LEFT OUTSIDE WHEN I AM NOT THERE!

My daughter is not able to sleep. I have her windows shut and a sound machine (white noise machine) on. She's spent the last three nights sweating horribly because the windows are closed and not falling asleep until the dog gets taken inside.

I have called the police who do nothing.

Tonight I went over there when the lady came home. (I had DD on my hip because I obviously wouldn't leave her home alone). I wanted to speak to the woman but she flew off the handle screaming at me saying there's nothing she can do about it if she's not home, and it's not fair to leave him in the house since she's gone all day.

and I yelled back at her. I am so upset that DD saw me get upset and yell at someone. This is not at all the model I want her to see of how to interact with others.

pcjs 05-17-2010 08:48 PM

Re: I HATE my neighbor's dog.

Can you call animal control? That would piss me off too!

BreaMarie 05-17-2010 09:00 PM

Maybe you can speak with other neighbors who could also call police/animal control and file complaints- it may have more weight if there are multiple complaints.
How inconsiderate of her! :yuck: How close is the neighbor's house? Maybe something like this: http://www.ultimatebarkcontrol.com/ would help.

nakedbabytoes 05-17-2010 09:11 PM

Ibuprophen or chocolate?

Lol, I kid!(sorta....)
Animal control. They will leave notices on her door and have you keep a log of barking times. She will get fined after a certain amount of time without fixing it. Her dog, her problem.
Sorry mama. We have Chihuhuhus next door that we hate, er um, I mean love!

nemawei 05-17-2010 09:16 PM

I love DS! Only on DS would someone find me a solution like this:

http://www.ultimatebarkcontrol.com/

I'm wondering if our "talk" tonight will trigger a change in the behavior.. if not, ultimatebarkcontrol.com here we come!

frenchie 05-17-2010 10:48 PM

Video tape her dog several nights in a row, and report to animal control and/or the city.

Maverick's Mama 05-17-2010 11:00 PM

We have the same issues with the (classy) people behind us. They have this dang pitbull that seems to be inside all day long but then nighttime rolls around and they put the beast outside, and chain it on a 4 foot leash to the fence. And she barks until like 4am if we don't call the cops. Luckily the police here DO deal with it, but its still annoying to go to bed and then as soon as I start to fall asleep the thing starts barking. The first time we called the police (after listening to her dog bark until 4am one night) the next night SHE was outside hollering about her dog eating our cats (uhm, we don't have cats?) and she was making barking noises. Psycho. She also screams at her kids all day long.

The neighbors next to them have a pitbull too and it got out twice last week and ran through our yard. You better believe I called the cops again.

I'm an animal lover, but when it comes to people owning them they need to be responsible. If its barking, figure out how to shut it up, its not MY problem that you can't control your animal and I will call the police.

The one thing I wish though is that the police would just confiscate the dogs (is that bad?). Neither are neutered which pits have been known to snap if they aren't neutered, plus its the rules that dogs be licensed. I highly doubt these people have their dogs licensed.

Anyway, sorry for the rant I just cannot wait to get out of this awful neighborhood my DH picked out.

heidi_m 05-17-2010 11:08 PM

We actually got the bark stop product that looks like a bird house - check around once you've read reviews and make sure you get a good price! I ended up getting the one we got on Amazon for about $20 less than I'd seen it elsewhere. It's actually worked GREAT!! Our neighbors have a Yorkie that just lurves to bark anywhere from 10-11pm (my hubby turns in around 9:30 usually, because he gets up around 5:15), and then it's often awakened us in the early morning hours, anywhere from 5-7am. We homeschool so our kids generally aren't up til around 8, and since I've been pregnant again I do NOT appreciate that dang dog barking outside our bedroom window, and our daughters', and waking us up all the time. We finally got the bark stop thing the last time the stupid dog barked and barked and barked and barked and barked from about 6:40 (JUST after my husband left for work) til after 7, and I was soooo mad and I thought, If that dang dog wakes up our baby - OR me!! - once the baby is here I am going to hurt somebody! It's SO frustrating!! And our neighbors are HOME when this goes on - I just can't understand how they have NO consideration for the fact that their dog goes to the corner of the fence that's 15 ft or so from our house, and our windows! GRR.

BUT, this birdhouse-lookin' bark stopper has STOPPED that stupid dog - YAY!! I hear it barking on the other side of their yard now, but only if I'm already awake - it's not loud enough to keep me awake or to wake me up. Now we're going to see about using it in our neighbors' yard on the other side of us, since there's a German shepherd that gets left out all night every night on the other side of them and it can rouse the entire neighborhood... BEST $50 or so we've ever spent!!

Hope you find one that works for you and you get it solved - I so feel your pain! :goodvibes:

wyoming butterfly 05-17-2010 11:22 PM

We got a bark control bird house thing at walmart fo about 40.00 and it is supos to control any dogs that bark. Works for our walker hound most of the time, but he only barks when he wants in and when we get home. Good luck and keep calling the y will log it and eventually do something.

frenchie 05-17-2010 11:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maverick's Mama (Post 10277325)

The one thing I wish though is that the police would just confiscate the dogs (is that bad?). Neither are neutered which pits have been known to snap if they aren't neutered, plus its the rules that dogs be licensed. I highly doubt these people have their dogs licensed.

Anyway, sorry for the rant I just cannot wait to get out of this awful neighborhood my DH picked out.

...because it's not their job. That is the job of Animal Control. Depending on the city, and the work load of the officers...most of the time the police will tell you that you need to call animal control to deal with animal issues. The police are there to deal with people stuff.