Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   I am so glad I read that Pampers thread! (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=990901)

doodah 05-20-2010 01:16 PM

I am so glad I read that Pampers thread!

One of my daycare kids has a weird rash on her bottom that is spreading and progressively worse by day. It has been slowly getting worse the last few weeks (2 to 4 weeks?). It did not look like diaper rash because it was on the cheek area and not in her private area. It does seem to itch for her and she does scratch and hit her bottom like she knows something is wrong. Her parents and I assumed it would be gone soon but it's not and she has never had diaper rash problems before. I can't remember ever using diaper cream on her at all. She uses Pampers! I read that thread and immediately put her in a Luvs from my daughter's emergency sposie stash and will probably send her home with more and see what changes with a day of switching. I really think this is it because she has also been leaking out of her diaper like crazy and that never happens. She is not a heavy wetter and I couldn't figure out what the deal was. I am definitely going to talk to her mom. I KNEW something weird was going on.....trust me, I have seen a lot of rashes working in childcare and being a mom. This was different. PLUS, she occasionally uses other brands depending on what mom buys and we have noticed that the rash will get better (assuming that was when she was in another brand) and then all of a sudden return. It has been the worse this week and she has used Pampers every day this week. Eeek! Thank God for DS mamas helping pass information. I can't wait to talk to this DC mom!

nakedbabytoes 05-20-2010 01:27 PM

Re: I am so glad I read that Pampers thread!

You're smarter than I am!
I had a DC girl who constantly had a rash. Never put 2&2 together, but she used Pampers exclusively! We finally just PT'd her early after 18 months of changing her every 30 minutes. Mom just always thought it was what she was eating or drinking. She had a long list of "no no" foods. I think we were down to just pasta plain & crackers by PT time.
And no, she wasn't ready but honestly undies or pullups were better on her butt & a less intense changing schedule!

Ellasundies 05-20-2010 04:19 PM

Doodah, Luvs is made by Pampers as well and has also switched to DryMax. So to my understanding of it, she should have a reaction to the Luvs as well.

doodah 05-20-2010 04:27 PM

thanks Ella, we will keep a close watch on her. She went a whole day here with Luvs and the rash is noticeably better. I don't know what the deal is but there is a distinct difference so far.

krispy79 05-20-2010 07:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ellasundies (Post 10301533)
Doodah, Luvs is made by Pampers as well and has also switched to DryMax. So to my understanding of it, she should have a reaction to the Luvs as well.

To my knowledge the DryMax is only in the pampers, Luvs is still using the same cellulose. Proctor and Gamble doesn't use the same technologies in both diapers, that is how they keep the consumers fooled into thinking Luvs is a cheaper way of sticking it to the diaper big-shots :goodvibes:

geewhiz 05-20-2010 07:34 PM

didn't see the pampers thread, so i'm glad you posted this! We use sposies here and its good to know!

ajane 05-20-2010 07:42 PM

It doesn't necessarily mean it is the diaper. There are lots of other factors.

We use Pampers DryMax on Anna and Will at night since they came out and we haven't had a problem. :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by krispy79 (Post 10302590)
To my knowledge the DryMax is only in the pampers, Luvs is still using the same cellulose. Proctor and Gamble doesn't use the same technologies in both diapers, that is how they keep the consumers fooled into thinking Luvs is a cheaper way of sticking it to the diaper big-shots :goodvibes:

That doesn't make sense.......Luvs and Pampers are from the same company. Why would they want to try to "stick it" to themselves? :headscratch: Luvs is simply a cheaper option to Pampers.

doodah 05-20-2010 08:34 PM

I will update in the morning. I did talk to the DC mom and she is going to switch brands and see how it goes. That rash was really alarming her but she didn't know what to do. The fact that this little girl went a few hours in a different type diaper and the rash is already better makes me feel like it was the Pampers.

dragondance 05-20-2010 08:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ajane (Post 10302879)

That doesn't make sense.......Luvs and Pampers are from the same company. Why would they want to try to "stick it" to themselves? :headscratch: Luvs is simply a cheaper option to Pampers.

They don't. They want the people buying the diapers to think they are getting a better deal & not buying one of the Big Expensive Two, Pampers or Huggies. Their commercials talk about learning to not need the "expensive" "other" diapers--when they make those too, lol.

Ellasundies 05-20-2010 09:07 PM

"To my knowledge the DryMax is only in the pampers, Luvs is still using the same cellulose. Proctor and Gamble doesn't use the same technologies in both diapers, that is how they keep the consumers fooled into thinking Luvs is a cheaper way of sticking it to the diaper big-shots "

Thanks for clearing that up. I thought I had read somewhere that they are putting the Drymax in Luvs as well.

OP that is great news to hear that it is clearing up. I hope that she continues to get better.