Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   What are your 1 yr old's naptimes and bedtime? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=991083)

Tribro 05-20-2010 06:32 PM

What are your 1 yr old's naptimes and bedtime?

My DS is headed towards 14 months. Lately he has been taking a morning nap and skipping the afternoon nap. Sometimes this is OK if his AM nap is long and starts late, however, on some days (like today) he takes his AM nap early and it is shorter then usual. He has been fussing, crying and "chattering" away in there for almost two hours, he has just quieted down. I have noticed that he will go down easier around 4 or so, I just hate to do this as his bedtime is at 7pm. We rarely have bedtime issues and never major ones, but with these late naps I end up waking him often at 6 to eat dinner and then get ready for bed.

I want to know if other Mom's give a later nap close to bedtime on a regular basis? I just hate it that we wasted two hours of fun time so he can sleep two hours right now! :banghead: I am thinking maybe I should just try the regular late nap.

thaisa47 05-20-2010 07:22 PM

Re: What are your 1 yr old's naptimes and bedtime?

Maybe try skipping the morning nap? When my DS was that age, it began getting harder and harder to put him down in the morning, and then by the time he fell asleep it was ruining his afternoon nap. We dropped the morning one, had an early lunch, and then he went down around noon for about 2 1/2 hours. My DD is slowly falling into this pattern, as well.

MamaWillow 05-20-2010 07:27 PM

Naps were really crazy for us between about 14 months and now...he's almost 18 months. It seems that in the past couple of weeks we have gotten it under control. We did kind of the same thing that you are doing; DS would be really tired at 10:30 every morning, then he would be ready for another nap around 3:30, but it would be hard to get him to sleep and sometimes he wouldn't be asleep until 4:30. Then bedtime was challenging because he wasn't tired. Bedtime for us is 7 too. I think this is a tricky age for them, because they are still tired in the morning, but that nap sustains them for longer than it used to. We slowly transitioned to one later nap. He is getting used to it. I think if I was a SAHM and could have a solid routine each day it would have happened sooner.

I began putting him to bed 15 minutes past his regular time, like 10:45. Then each day or couple of days it would go a little later. Sometimes I would try and go outside or to the library or something so he was busy, otherwise he would just nurse and fall asleep. Bedtime was easy because he was SO tired and sometimes he would be asleep by 6 or 6:30 because he couldn't handle it anymore. But now things are great! He goes down about 12 right after lunch and then sleeps for an hour to an hour and a half, then goes to bed SO well right at 7. HTH!

MaxCapacity 05-20-2010 07:31 PM

My 2 boys took 2 naps/day until 12 mos (ds1) & 15 mos (ds2), but dd (who is 18 mos now) has only taken 1 nap/day since she was about 3 mos old. It's a nice long nap, 2-4 hours, but only 1 nap. She goes to bed at 8pm.

ETA: I should add that her nap is right after lunch, so she from naps around noon or 1 to about 3 or 4pm.

C-MaeMama 05-20-2010 07:45 PM

my dd took 2 naps from 12-18mos. morning was from 9-10ish then 1-3. And bedtime has always been started at 7 ending between 730-8pm at the latest.

GEMQEMCABOOSE 05-20-2010 08:23 PM

Around 14 months, many littles are ready to begin shortening their morning nap. Both of mine weren't ready yet but by 16 months the phenomenon you describe started showing. So I began giving them only 90 minute naps in the AM instead of 2 hours and then they took their full afternoon nap. After a couple months the afternoon nap started being tinkered with again so I knew it was time to shorten the morning nap again, this time to 60 minutes. We have found that consistently putting them down for naps at the same time helped with nap consistentcy also, but whenever the afternoon nap starts being "abbreviated" I choose the help mine shorten the morning nap so the afternoon nap is rock solid. By 18-20 months most littles are ready to be on one long afternoon nap. Good Luck!

aprilbeanxo 05-20-2010 09:04 PM

my 13 month old usually wakes up between 8-9.2 hours after he wakes up he takes an hour-hour and a half nap.He plays,has lunch then if we go out to do errands he will cat nap in the car.If we are home for the day he will take another nap around 2-2:30 and sleep for an hour and a half to 2 hours.He goes to bed between 7-8.he nnneeedddss that second nap or he wants to take a nap at 6 then be up at 7 and not go to bed until midnight

sUpermOm81 05-20-2010 09:09 PM

All mine started taking one 3-4 hour nap at about 14 months. Usually right after lunch aroun noon-3:30 or 4.

MrsLiberty 05-21-2010 12:33 AM

My son is 16 months, and his nap schedule is nuts. He's transitioning from taking two naps per day to just one. A lot of times, he takes one nap from noon-3 or so. Some days, he takes a short nap at 9 or 10, and then doesn't want to go down again until like 4, which doesn't work for crap because we eat at 5:30 (right when my husband gets home from work, because he has to leave for school almost immediately). Then bedtime is at 7:15.

I don't remember the transition from two naps to one being this difficult with my daughter, but she was also a much easier baby than my son was. This boy just can't let it be simple! LOL

LnzsOut 05-21-2010 07:47 AM

My son will be 1 yr next week. DS is not a great night sleeper. He goes down for naps much better than he goes down for the night. He takes a morning nap, usually about 2-3 hours after he wakes up in the morning (which is usually around 6-6:30am). Sometimes the nap lasts 30 minutes, other times it lasts 1.5 hours. Then he takes a nap in the afternoon that starts around 2-3pm. That nap lasts anywhere from 45 minutes to 2 hours. We get him down at night around 7:30-8.