Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Do i let her drink or make her eat? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=991409)

Bellamoon 05-21-2010 10:22 AM

Do i let her drink or make her eat?

DD is 3 and has a medical condtion that makes her body react to many foods. She takes an elemental formula as a supplament. Around 24 ounces a day (three sippys, one with each meal) In the morning it like pulling teeth to get her to eat breakfast. She has one cereal that she can eat but she refuses it most morning. If i make eggs she will eat half a dozen (seriously) however i cant always make eggs in the am. She just wants the sippy on mornings when i offer her cereal. So do i let her just have that, or tell her she has to eat first then get the sippy?:banghead:

Shaunam 05-21-2010 11:18 AM

Re: Do i let her drink or make her eat?

If the problem is only in the morning, I'd let it go. I don't always like to eat in the mornings. I often just make a smoothie. I know a lot of people who are the same way. If she were rejecting food at every meal, I think it would be more of a problem.

nakedbabytoes 05-21-2010 12:05 PM

My 2yo doesn't like to eat anything until after 10am. He's like my hubby. He wants his morning OJ and then a granola bar at 10. No biggie. Not everybody likes to eat naturally at the same time. Roll with it, mama.

Bellamoon 05-21-2010 12:11 PM

one of my other concerns is because she is underweight...A LOT. She is 27 pounds and almost 3.5.

staceyroo77 05-21-2010 12:12 PM

My girls don't want to eat right away in the morning either, they usually drink a smoothie and then wait a while and eat something later.

staceyroo77 05-21-2010 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Butterfly Designs (Post 10307343)
one of my other concerns is because she is underweight...A LOT. She is 27 pounds and almost 3.5.

My DD weighs about the same, and she'll be 3.5 in August, but my girls are short too.

Bellamoon 05-21-2010 12:19 PM

ya dd is super tall 3'3" at her last appt.

Shaunam 05-21-2010 12:47 PM

I would try increasing her calories throughout the day. Morning is just not the best time for a lot of people. You could also talk to her doc about increasing the amount of formula she gets. I know, seems kind of counter productive to getting her to eat, but as she gets bigger, she's going to just need more all around, not just regular food, but formula too, until she's able to eventually come off the formula. A healthy, thriving child is the single most important thing. If she isn't getting enough calories, that'll make her more irritable and have less energy to eat. So increasing her formula may actually help her eat MORE. It's a fine line though. You just have to play around with it to figure out what works for her.

JustAugust 05-21-2010 12:52 PM

Another kiddo who doesn't want to eat in the mornings. Can you hold off on all food/drink until she wakes up a bit more? I'd let her watch a show, or play first for a little bit, and then encourage her to eat at least a few bites of something before she gets her sippy. Just because if she had food issues anyways, I wouldn't want them to get worse. I'd say set a number "You need to eat 5 good bites of your cereal and then you may have your sippy." Not a fight, just a simple rule. And not something that's hard for her. Anyone can take 5 bites. And then maybe up the bite number every now and then, or just mix it up if she could handle that. Some days it's 5 bites, somedays it's 10 bites, whatever. I know LOTS of kids who fill up on drinks and don't eat much.

MamaWillow 05-21-2010 01:19 PM

I guess I'm in the minority but I think a big healthy breakfast is the most important meal of the day. It's a fact that a high protein breakfast is really the foundation for lots of energy throughout the day. IMO cereal is NOT a healthy breakfast at all...low protein and high carb/sugary. Just leading to meltdowns and low energy.

If your DD likes eggs, make her eggs. It doesn't take more than 5 minutes. At this point with her being so tiny and underweight, if I were you I would be feeding her her favorite foods no matter what. Maybe she just doesn't like cereal. We have transitioned to a big breakfast everyday: eggs, sometimes turkey sausage, and a big bowl of oatmeal (not instant sugary kind, on the stove old fashioned kind). Yeah, mornings take more time, but everyone is happier and well fed and feels great.