Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Should I wake her? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=991844)

hoopinmeadow 05-21-2010 07:26 PM

Should I wake her?

Sleep training has been quite successful so far and my DD is so happy and not fussy now! But she's been asleep for the past hour and twenty minutes, should I wake her up and put her to bed for the night later? She went to sleep at 6pm for her last nap, and she never naps for this long so I don't know what to do. I gently tried to wake her up but she seems like she wants to keep sleeping. She really needs this sleep as she has not been getting nearly enough until last night so I feel like I probably shouldn't.

hoopinmeadow 05-21-2010 07:26 PM

Re: Should I wake her?

oops, two hours and twenty minutes.

ajanele 05-21-2010 07:31 PM

I'm not sure what 'sleep training' is, but I wouldn't wake a sleeping baby.

doodah 05-21-2010 07:41 PM

I would just go with it for tonight but in general, I do keep my girls on a schedule. No one naps beyond 4pm because then they don't go to bed on time (7pm for the 10 month old and 8pm for the 2.5 year old). If they sleep past 4 then I wake them up. Our routine has worked really well for us.

hoopinmeadow 05-21-2010 07:56 PM

I'm still trying to figure out her bedtime. Her schedule is all over the place and I'm not sure what to do about it. She wakes anywhere between 8am and 10:30 and goes to sleep anywhere from 10-12. How do I fix that?

doodah 05-21-2010 09:54 PM

You get on a routine for the day. You make sure she is up at the same time each day and begin a routine for each part of the day. If you start out the same way each day, it is a million times easier to continue each day in the same general way. My girls will fluctuate within a 30 minute time frame but in general, we do the same routine every day. It sounds like it would be harsh (or boring) but it is not that way at all for us, especially since I work at home so I don't have the flexibility that a SAHM would have. In addition, my kids are well rested which makes for happier, better behaved kids. The ONLY down side is that while they can stay up on occasion for a late night event, they normally do not do well past 8pm. That is a sacrifice for us but WAY better than them being up all hours of the night and struggling through each day (which is what they would be doing if we didn't have a routine).

hoopinmeadow 05-21-2010 10:18 PM

I'm really learning on this whole routine thing. I'm horrible at schedules and organization so this is all new to me. I'm trying really hard to get it down. I'm definitely going to keep working at it because I really want her to be well rested. Last night she slept for 10 hours, which is the most she's every slept in a night. It was 2 five hour stretches with a feeding in the middle. Today she was so happy and not the least bit fussy, it was wonderful. I feel so bad when she's exhausted and crying all day.

I hope I didn't start at a bad time though, we are going to a bluegrass festival next weekend and staying in a hotel. I'm taking the pack n play, which is what she's sleeping in now so hopefully the familiarity will help.

doodah 05-21-2010 10:36 PM

Oh we travel a lot and it is tricky but not impossible. Kids adapt well and can go from a special day back to the regular program with usually no more than one off day. I have had great success with scheduling my daycare kids. So much so that most of the parents have either gone off of my DC schedule or commented that the kids are well rested and happier on DC days. It does work in some from for any kid. We are all creatures of habit so it makes sense that some sort of daily routine would be beneficial for a kid. Can you imagine if you were living in a world where every day was different and you were surrounded by chaos? You would be grouchy, confused and exhausted too. (PS, not saying you, OP, are currently in chaos, just making a general statement)