Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   I think My Ds is having a Reaction to vaccinations (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=992181)

myfrugalfunlife 05-22-2010 01:05 PM

I think My Ds is having a Reaction to vaccinations

We do a delay/select schedule with my ds and at his 2 yr check up on Thursday he got the third dose of polio and 4th dose of dtap. Afterward he was fine but then yesterday I noticed a rash in his diaper area-which he has not had in months. But it went away after a couple hours. Then this morning he had a bit of rash on his lower belly but again I brushed it off to diaper use issues. Now both legs are covered and also his thighs :cry: Its really red with small bumps-kind of looks like severe sunburn? He hasn't gotten into anything or eaten different food so I think its got to be related to the vaccinations-one of the poke areas is a slight black and blue and totally surrounded by the rash.
He's acting totally fine though so its not bothering him-but ugh! I feel awful right now :( I looked up the two vaccinations and didn't see rash as a possible side effect but don't know what else could be causing it? Hopefully it will go away on its own soon!

Sweet_Fantasy_Fox 05-22-2010 01:07 PM

Re: I think My Ds is having a Reaction to vaccinations

I am not sure mama, take pics of the legs, can you show us the rash on the legs, belly? My oldest son got a bad reaction when he was little. it looked like he had smallpox, his body even face got covered in tiny bumps and freaked me out.

JustAugust 05-22-2010 02:10 PM

Not sure on specifics, but I do know each dose of DTaP is more reactive than the last. So it's definitely possible.

myfrugalfunlife 05-22-2010 02:24 PM

He was taking a nap so I waited to take pictures and now its totally gone (except the site bruising)-it came and went just like the diaper area rash the other day :headscratch: We usually don't have rash issues so this is really strange!

kjo 05-22-2010 03:06 PM

Eczema is a vaccine reaction. Our pediatrician takes a more holistic approach than most doctors and she sites eczema as a reason to slow down on the vaccine schedule. I believe Dtap is actually 3 vaccines so basically he got a total of 4 in one day and that is kind of a lot. Each parent has to do what they feel is best when it comes to vaccines but if it were my kid I'd slow the schedule down even more. Perhaps your LO was fighting a cold or something when he went in and his body reacted differently this time. For furture vaccines you can up their vitamin c levels a couple of weeks before and after the shot. Make sure to mention this reaction to your pediatrician.