Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   can I give my 4 month old motrin? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=992338)

sarahpotter 05-22-2010 05:54 PM

can I give my 4 month old motrin?

I know they say motrin after 6 months...but the tylenol just isn't doing it.

she got her shots yesterday and had a low grade fever this morning. thought she would be okay. give her some tylenol and packed the thermometer for our day trip to an amueseament park. got there in took her temp again and it was 103.3! went straight to the first aid station. sat in the air conditioning (temp went down to 102) while my husband took the other kids on the train ride. then went straight home. (good think we have season passes). it's now 101.0. I've been giving her baby tylenol (don't worry I made sure it's not one of the recalls) every 4 hours. and I was wondering if I can do the alternating motrin/tylenol thing. I know they say motrin after 6 months...but the tylenol just isn't doing it.

krispy79 05-22-2010 06:00 PM

Re: can I give my 4 month old motrin?

I don't have any dosage info for under 6m, but my dr always said you go by weight. 12-17lbs would get 1.25mL of Motrin.
Personally I would give it. I recall giving to my son around 3 months when he had a fever. I usually give tylenol but it's best to rotate for keeping a fever down 1st dose tylenol, next dose motrin, then tylenol, etc.

ktmelody 05-22-2010 06:04 PM

Here is the link, says 4 months and up...:D Although I was told no motrin under 6-8 months.

http://www.motrin.ca/eng/child/product/infant.html

linzbear 05-22-2010 06:22 PM

I wouldn't... ibuprofen is really hard on your stomach (and many adults who overdose get ulcers from it).

But that's me.

101 isn't too bad, anyway - it means she's fighting an infection & will likely kill it quickly. Fever reducers prolong this effect, causing the need for antibiotics when really if the body is allowed to do its job, you don't need them.

lanwenyi 05-22-2010 07:20 PM

My doc always told me to use the lesser of age or weight, so even if my baby was 12 lbs, if s/he was under 6 mths, I couldn't give motrin. I also give the lower dose of age or weight for tylenol until age 1 after which she said that dosing by weight alone is appropriate.

I also agree with a pp, 101 is not bad. That's your baby's immune system dealing with vaxes/illnesses. I don't medicate until over 103 (unless extremely lethargic), so if tylenol is keeping it under 103, I wouldn't worry. Let the immune system do its job. If you're really worried, call your doc's office, but don't give motrin under 6 mths w/o a physician's advice to do so. It can be VERY hard on an infant's stomach.

sarahpotter 05-22-2010 07:34 PM

Thanks. I don't think I will give it to her. She is feeling much better now.

Carey-Anne 05-22-2010 07:43 PM

I gave motrin under 6 months. For ages 4 months and up it is ok to give 1.25 ml. If my LO's were not in the correct weight range (ie. less than 12 lbs but over 4 months) I would 1/2 the dose of 1.25 ml.

SillyEllie 05-22-2010 07:57 PM

I always thought motrin was for alot older babies, maybe I'm wrong. And our pedi doesn't make us come in unless the fever is 103 or more

Carey-Anne 05-22-2010 08:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ardygurly (Post 10317435)
I always thought motrin was for alot older babies, maybe I'm wrong. And our pedi doesn't make us come in unless the fever is 103 or more

They have children's and infants motrin.

chrissyb 05-22-2010 09:51 PM

I wouldn't. And 101 isn't terrible. I try not to treat a fever unless its over 102 or kiddo is uncomfortable. She has a fever because her immune systen is triggered to work. I would just treat with tylenol is she seems uncomfortable. Good luck.