Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   No weight gain, vomiting, diarrhea. Could it be celiacs? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=992608)

Hudsonsk 05-23-2010 09:50 AM

No weight gain, vomiting, diarrhea. Could it be celiacs?

My son has slowly been dropping on the growth charts since birth but especially around when we started introducing solids. We thought the weight problem was because it took him a few months to figure out how to not gag and throw up on the purees and switched him to exclusively finger foods. He's always had runny poop but I thought that was due to the breastmilk. Now that he's been weaned for about 2 months his poop still hasn't firmed up. He's now 14 1/2 months and eats as much as his 3 year old sister but still isnt gaining weight. He's at 17.5lbs and holding since 9 months. He also has just started vomiting randomly a few times a week, seems kind of cranky(which could be teething too) and seems to be having increased digestive issues. He doesnt have a fever or seem to be sick in any other way. I was looking up stuff about toddler's with bloated bellies last night because his belly felt kind of hard and ran across some websites about celiac's disease. He seems to have quite a few of the symptoms so I'm going to ask his ped about it in 2 weeks when he goes to his next weight check. Thought I'd post on here to see if any other mother's had experience with this. If your kid's have celiacs, when were they diagnosed and what were their symptoms? Also, I thought about taking him off gluten for a couple of weeks to see if that helps but read that they need to still be on gluten if the Dr decides to do tests or they wont be accurate. So should I take him off of gluten or wait until we see the pediatrician in 2 weeks?

SAHM2Seven 05-23-2010 10:18 AM

Re: No weight gain, vomiting, diarrhea. Could it be celiacs?

Hey mama!
Im in the same boat as you...My daughter is currently being tested for celiac. She has about 8-10 poops a day...runny, has a bloated belly, cries often like she is in pain, and eats like a horse...ALLTHETIME! She is 15 and 1/2 months old...is gaining slowly. She is 21 pounds and 30 inches long. She is a slow gainer.
When we went to the Ped about it last week, he gave us 3 stool specimen containers (we did them all Friday morning) and she had blood work done last week. When we get those back, we will go from there. My ODD she is 7 years old now was tested when she was 2, and even had a biopsy done of her stomach and an upper GI, various other testing..came back neg and she is okay now. My Ped said even now it could be hard to get a dx even if she has it. Alot of the times it comes up inconclusive when they are under 5.

She had really bad acid reflux as a little baby and was on meds for that and on Alimentum formula mixed with rice cereal b/c she was aspirating her feeds. I also breastfed her. I know it can frusterating but if you are thinking of having her tested, I wouldn't do the GF diet yet. Good luck and keep me informed on what you come up with.

*MamaStacy* 05-23-2010 10:31 AM

My 5 yr. old son has been showing signs of Celiacs for awhile now. He vomits occasionally, has diarrhea daily (at least once a day) and has other digestive issues. He gets really cranky and cries alot in the mornings due to his tummy being upset straight out of bed. We tried Prevacid, the pedi thought it might be acid reflux. That didn't help him at all, the stomach issues have continued. We are supposed to evaluate him soon for Celiacs, they said they will run tests on him. In the meantime, the pedi advised me NOT to take gluten out of his diet because that could affect the testing. If gluten is part of the problem and you remove it, the tests will be affected.

amelia222 05-23-2010 11:06 AM

That sounds exactly like my dd!!! I don't know why I never considered celiacs.

Hudsonsk 05-23-2010 11:14 AM

Thanks so much ladies! I will definitely talk to his pediatrician about celiacs. So far the only thing the ped has told me is to make sure he's eating and give him pediasure. He eats like crazy and still isn't gaining weight so it's nice to be able to have another thing to look at instead of just feeling like it's somehow my fault that he isn't gaining weight. Not that I want him to have Celiacs but an explanation and a plan of action would be great or just getting the Dr to start looking for other reasons he's not growing too.