Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   What time to do your kids go to bed? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=994107)

Fashionably Green Baby 05-25-2010 01:53 PM

What time to do your kids go to bed?

Ok I am tired of getting snarky remarks for my kids bedtime so I am just wondering what time your your little kids (5 and under is what I am dealing with right now) go to bed?

The story:
both of our kids go to bed at 7:30. My daughter is 4 1/2 and my son is 15 months. We start our bedtime routine at 7:30 and they are in bed with the lights out before 8pm. They get up at 7:30 or 8 am. my son takes 2 naps 10 to noon and 2 to 4 and my DD takes a daily "rest" time from 2 to 4. Everyone around us seems to let their kids be up until 10 or 11 but that just is not for us. I go to bed around 11 for goodness sakes. SO why does it seem that people (esp younger parents) just let their kids stay up so late? I am 24 by the way so I am not like an old fudy duddy :giggle:

staceyroo77 05-25-2010 02:03 PM

Re: What time to do your kids go to bed?

Ours girls usually go to bed around 9-10pm. Actually, the youngest (same age as your youngest) sometimes is up a little later. I've never done set bedtime or nap time for the kids. The oldest doesn't nap, the middle one rarely naps, and the youngest usually naps. We don't get up at the same time either, my DH is up at 6am, DD2 is up around 7:30, and DD3 and I are usually awake between 8 and 8:30. DD 1 sleeps in most days til 9 or 9:30. I'm 32 and DH is 35, are we old fuddy duddies? :giggle:

NorahsMom 05-25-2010 02:09 PM

My dd used to sleep 7 pm to 7 am with a nap from 12 to 2. Sigh....those were the days. Now we start the bedtime routine at 8:00 (bath, jammies, teeth, books), with lights out at 9:00. BUT, she usually doesn't actually go to sleep until 10 or 11. She will just lay in her bed and talk to her stuffed animals or just lay there quietly (it's kind of freaky when we go in to check on her at like 10:30 and she is just lying there with her eyes open). Then she sleeps until about 8:30 and naps from 1 to 3:30-ish. I would love to have an earlier schedule, but she seriously won't sleep any earlier...and maybe I'm too tired to get up early enough to get her up earlier. (DS is only 2 weeks old so he sleeps all the time, except of course, when I'm trying to sleep.)

OP, I don't know why people make snarky comments about your bedtime. I know a lot of young families with 7:30 or 8:00 bedtime. Like I said, I wish we were one of them.

Lanasmom 05-25-2010 02:09 PM

nak

my 2 year old dd has the same routine as your los. we start around 730 and she is in bed by 8. newbie goes to sleep around 9. dd gets up at 745 and takes a 1.5-2 hr nap. im 27 and im in bed by 1030,

Icryinbaseball 05-25-2010 02:21 PM

All 4 lay down at 6:30. Usually asleep by 7. They get up at 6:30.

Elsaraw 05-25-2010 02:23 PM

My 2 year old is up till 10 with us, we all go to bed at the same time. Really the main reason is so he can spend time with his daddy... 2 hours or so a day is not enough for them. He wakes up around 8 and has a 2 to 3 hour nap each day... so, he is (usually) getting the 13 hours he needs in a 24 hour period.
Oh, and we're old. I'm 36 and dh is 49.

katie's mom 05-25-2010 02:24 PM

My DD is 19 months, we start the bedtime routine at 7:30, in bed by 8. She gets up about 6:30, naps mid-day for about 3 hours.

I go to bed no later than 10. I am 35 and my DH is 39 so it is possible we are old fuddy duddys. ;)

luvmybaby333 05-25-2010 02:33 PM

My goal is to get them in bed by 9pm-ish. It doesn't always happen, though. They usually end up going to bed around 10pm... or sometimes 11pm if I'm not lucky. We homeschool and my DH doesn't get home until 2am... So having a later schedule works for us. I'm 25, though I don't see how that makes a difference. We maintain this schedule because that's the what our lifestyle dictates. To each their own, ya know.

groovybaby 05-25-2010 02:43 PM

My oldest is nearly 5 and is in bed between 7pm and 7:30pm. If he stays up past 7:30pm, he goes into meltdown mode. He never takes a nap, so he falls asleep very quickly with that bedtime.

My youngest is almost 2 and is in bed by 8pm and usually asleep by 8:30pm. He still takes a nap (which usually lasts at least two hours), so it sometimes takes him awhile to fall asleep.

DH and I both go to sleep at 11pm (unless dh falls asleep in front of the tv :giggle:). The kids both wake us up every morning, usually by 6:30am.

If I am 34, am I considered an old fuddy duddy? :giggle:

Sassu 05-25-2010 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kason's mommy (Post 10337110)
All 4 lay down at 6:30. Usually asleep by 7. They get up at 6:30.

This for my 14 month old. She's been doing this since about 4 months old (knock on wood!) And she still has 2 naps (9am-11am) (2-4pm)
I don't consider myself old, but might be a fuddy duddy regardless :)
I think lots of sleep is good for LOs and I put quite a bit of effort into getting her routine down when she was young. I do get the occasional comment about how that's too early but not very often. When I do I just ignore it because I'm not the one with black circles under my eyes :giggle: