Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Diaper Chatter and Q & A (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   2?s cracks in PUL & PUL cover care (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=994858)

CarrieAnn0413 05-26-2010 10:52 AM

2?s cracks in PUL & PUL cover care

I have been having a lot of trouble with leaking with my PUL covers. It is partly because she soaks her diapers so much. So it is partly on me to get used to this change in her and check her diapers more often so I can hopefully catch it before she goes so much that she saturates the entire diaper. I have also added a 2nd doubler and that helps. But we have recently had a few leaks so I was rinsing out some wet clothes along with a wet PUL Thirsties cover and as I rinsed it I noticed right in there area where her pants were wet on the cover there are like cracks in the PUL. So I am guessing that this is really contributing to the leaks. 2 of my PUL covers have these cracks and the one that rarely gives me trouble is fine. So are these covers save-able or are they doomed to the trash? Is it time for some new covers?

2nd ?...How do you care for PUL covers? For just those they get a little pee on them, how often do you wash them? what water temp? do you line dry or use dryer? If I buy new covers (and for the ones I am still using) I want them to last as long as possible. Wondering if I am to hard on my covers. Do you wipe them down with a wipe after each diaper change?

The covers giving me trouble I bought here on FSOT in great condition, I have been using them for just over 1 year. They are used in a rotation of about 7 covers total (both PUL and wool)

TIA for any help :)

BirthdayMama 05-26-2010 11:12 AM

Re: 2?s cracks in PUL & PUL cover care

Hmm, I have PUL covers with cracks, and they don't leak at all. But if they wetness seems to be where the cracks are, your cracks must be more severe. It sounds to me like they're shot, but I have heard that putting them in the dryer on high heat once can help reseal the PUL. If you think they're goners anyway, that may not be a bad last ditch effort.

I don't wipe them down; I rotate them during the day so that there is always a different one sitting there that's been airing out. I rotate between two until one of them gets poop on it (which almost never happens if you pin or snappi) or they start to smell like pee. The one with exposed PUL can go a couple days before I wash it. The ones with a layer of cotton on the inside can only go a couple of changes. If it smells like pee, I throw it in the diaper pail and wash it with the rest of my diapers, but I line dry them.

ExuberantDaffodil 05-26-2010 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BirthdayMama (Post 10344578)

I don't wipe them down; I rotate them during the day so that there is always a different one sitting there that's been airing out. I rotate between two until one of them gets poop on it (which almost never happens if you pin or snappi) or they start to smell like pee. The one with exposed PUL can go a couple days before I wash it. The ones with a layer of cotton on the inside can only go a couple of changes. If it smells like pee, I throw it in the diaper pail and wash it with the rest of my diapers, but I line dry them.

^^ this is exactly what I do, too ^^

CarrieAnn0413 05-26-2010 01:32 PM

Yep, I let water run onto my cover in the sink and it held water in the center but on the sides where the cracks are the water went through and the cover was wet/changed color in those spots. The aplix closure on them is about due to be replaced as well. One side on one cover barely holds on.

Rotate through my whole cover stash and lay the one I take off on the top of my diaper pail to air out and then when I change dd again the aired out one goes in the reuse pile, changed one gets laid out. Same for my wool, although I do favor the PUL so they get used more often. I'd say each cover gets used maybe 3 or 4 times a day on average. So I usually wash all my PUL covers with my pail liner once a week in warm water and usually dry on low in the dryer just until they are dry (my pail liner is usually still damp after that so that gets hung up until it is finished drying.) Maybe I wont put my new ones in the dryer every time. I did try drying the cracked ones on high but it didn't seem to make much difference. After a few uses they were leaking again.