Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   vax spinoff- religious exemption (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=99639)

turtle2who 02-17-2007 04:04 AM

vax spinoff- religious exemption

I am just curious if anyone out there opposes vax for religious reasons. If so will you share your ideas?

Hitchkids 02-17-2007 12:56 PM

Re: vax spinoff- religious exemption

As a Catholic, the Vatican supports religious objections to vaccines. Some vaccines use material that is obtained in an immoral fashion according to Catholic teachings. The Vatican has issued a statement calling on all parents to fight for the production of morally acceptable vaccines in this country. They also say that each parent is responsible for researching the risks of the disease vs the risk of the vaccine and making the best decision for their family. So it is within the teachings of Catholic beliefs to object to any and all vaccines on religious grounds because we are called as parents to do what we feel is in the best interest of our children. So it's sort of educate yourself on the vaccine, diseases, moral teachings and make the best choice for your family. If you choose to use a religious objection as a Catholic, the Vatican supports you and has a statement available asserting so. Does that make any sense or am I just talking in circles?

tararaboomdeea 02-17-2007 04:26 PM

That was the reason we chose as an exemption for our children. We could have gone with philosohical as well, but we did have some religious reasons for not vaxing. Plus, one of the vaccines contains tissue from aborted fetus'--we're pro-life 100%, so that doesn't really jive with our beliefs. :)

amandaev 02-17-2007 08:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tararaboomdeea (Post 735950)
That was the reason we chose as an exemption for our children. We could have gone with philosohical as well, but we did have some religious reasons for not vaxing. Plus, one of the vaccines contains tissue from aborted fetus'--we're pro-life 100%, so that doesn't really jive with our beliefs. :)

Oooh, can you tell me where you found that info. I would LOVE to know more about a vax that has tissue from an aborted fetus. Thst is very interesting. And can someone explain Why the vaccines are against their religious beleifs. Like specifics. Thanks!

Hitchkids 02-17-2007 09:01 PM

You can find the reasons certain vaccines can be considered to go against Catholic teachings at www.cogforlife.org. Yes, it is a religious website with a noticeable bias but it will give you some information to start a search. I do believe that site also has a link to the statement put out by the Vatican on why it is important that we fight for the production of moral vaccines, ones that do not contain or use fetal tissue or cell lines in any way, shape or form. This is just one site to look at, I would suggest looking in other places as well and not base anything on just one source.

amandaev 02-18-2007 07:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hitchkids (Post 736717)
You can find the reasons certain vaccines can be considered to go against Catholic teachings at www.cogforlife.org. Yes, it is a religious website with a noticeable bias but it will give you some information to start a search. I do believe that site also has a link to the statement put out by the Vatican on why it is important that we fight for the production of moral vaccines, ones that do not contain or use fetal tissue or cell lines in any way, shape or form. This is just one site to look at, I would suggest looking in other places as well and not base anything on just one source.

Thank you SO MUCH for the info. I have NEVER heard of this before. Well that is a double "NO" on the vaccines for sure! I didn't think I had a leg to stand on with a religious exemption. I always wondered "What religion has something against vaccinations?" I never imagined it was my own (Christian) :banghead:. YIKES!

JustAugust 02-18-2007 07:41 PM

The ones that have aborted fetal cells list that as "human diploid cells" if I remember correctly. They were obtained back in the 70's and whatnot to create the original vaccines.

This mothering discussion shares some stuff on it...
http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=618335

somersocial 02-18-2007 07:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hitchkids (Post 736717)
You can find the reasons certain vaccines can be considered to go against Catholic teachings at www.cogforlife.org.

Wow! Thanks for that link!

amandaev 02-18-2007 08:02 PM

Wow! This is just bad. Even using monkey liver cells, who wants that? It just seems more natural to have the "disease" rather than monkey liver cells in your system. And that's just wrong.

kezoo 02-19-2007 08:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tiffer23 (Post 739100)
The ones that have aborted fetal cells list that as "human diploid cells" if I remember correctly. They were obtained back in the 70's and whatnot to create the original vaccines.

This mothering discussion shares some stuff on it...
http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=618335

Yes, you are right, although I think they are cell lines from earlier than the 70s, perhaps the 60s. And while the actual original cells were from an aborted fetus (and we don't know if it was an actual "abortion" as we term it today or a baby that was miscarried, as that is still technically termed an abortion by the body), the cells that are used nowadays are simply cells that have been replicated over and over (that's why it is called a cell line). So it is not technically the actual cells from the origincal fetus, KWIM?