Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Breastfeeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   who do you know that refuses to BF? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=998877)

newbiemama 06-01-2010 02:44 PM

who do you know that refuses to BF?

i've run across a couple of people i know lately who, for whatever reason, are refusing to breastfeeding. that in itself isn't even my big complaint, although i am VERY pro-BF'ing. but i am personally baffled at their reasoning for choosing NOT to breastfeed. one co-worker told me that she was just "too scared" to breastfeed. she said she was going to try at first, but then got too scared. the other (who is my BEST FRIEND in the WORLD, so i am particularly appalled by this one) said that she wasn't going to BF because "no way i'm having some baby s*ck on it!! (it being her b**b) :jawdrop: SERIOUSLY?!!? that's your reason??

so it got me thinking, who do YOU know who refuses to BF, and what are their reasons? are they legitimate concerns? preferences? what??

disclaimer: please no one take offense to this post, i am just curious as to the reasons why people WOULDN'T BF

JennTheMomma 06-01-2010 02:46 PM

Re: who do you know that refuses to BF?

Um... everyone IRL. None of my family does it (well the older ladies in my family have, but not any of their kids). No one in DH's family does, and none of my friends do. I've heard many reasons "it's too hard", " I don't have enough time", " I want the dad to bond with baby too", "I heard it hurts", etc.

nicole999 06-01-2010 03:51 PM

Most people I know have choosen to BF for at least the first couple months. My mom, MIL, Aunts, SIL and cousins all BF'd until at least 6 months. My friends have mostly BF'd but some have stopped before 6 months, they seem to blame either supply issues or they were "too busy" with other kids. I do have one co-worker who told me she didn't BF her two kids because it's like incest. I couldn't believe she thought that and I asked her if she changed her babies diapers and gave them baths or was that molestation? Some people just don't make much sense!

mamaktee 06-01-2010 04:00 PM

katbriil 06-01-2010 04:11 PM

A girl I know from a mom's group told me she doesn't want to BF because she doesn't want her kids to need her that much. :sadno:

MotherMoonPads 06-01-2010 04:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mamaktee (Post 10390641)
My cousin's girlfriend had their DD right around the same time I had DS so me and her were sort of preggo buds. She is only 17 and she was freaked out about everything...understandably. We talked about BFing a few times as I was on the BFing boat from day 1 and she was not. She had a huge fear that it would mess her teen boobs up...

Anyway fast forward 9mths and she had changed her mind :lostit:. She did really well for the first few months and then claimed she wanted to wean b/c she was..get ready...

Making too much milk! :headscratch::headscratch::headscratch:

I was totally confused...I had tried my best to BF my LO and only got a few weeks in him before I had totally dried up :cry:.

It is still hard for me to believe that was her actual reasons.

Actually, oversupply can be a HUGE issue. I'm dealing with it right now :(

foxynursejo 06-01-2010 04:25 PM

DH's SIL (well his step-brother's wife) didn't BF any of her 3 kids, and she's a SAHM. I have no idea why not, as I've never brought it up with her (they live out of state and I've only met her a handful of times). But my MIL is pretty close to her, and I think she expects me to be "like" her. She always questions what I'm doing. When we first got on WIC about a month ago, DH was telling her how much food I get for BFing multiples. I didn't get the whole conversation, but I overheard him tell her on the phone, "No, mom, we won't be needing any formula for them".

Another big excuse I've heard is going back to work.

chippybug10 06-01-2010 06:01 PM

I don't bother to ask because if someone gives me one of the "it's sexual" or "i don't want to be that attached to my kids" excuses I'll probably get into a decent argument or at least give them a snide comment. It's not worth it to me so long as they allow me to feed my babe in peace.

CherryPie 06-01-2010 06:08 PM

I only know of one (my neighbor) who absolutely refuses to b/c she thinks it is gross and babies' mouth don't belong on boobs (her words). I'm sure there are others but that is the only one who has came out and said it.

foxynursejo 06-01-2010 06:12 PM

i think that is so ridiculous about people saying babies shouldn't do that, its gross, etc. hellllllooo ladies, what do you think we have breasts for? ugh.