Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   In The Kitchen (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Chicken in the oven? HELP! (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=999518)

L J 06-02-2010 11:27 AM

Chicken in the oven? HELP!

Since I stopped working recently, I am making an attempt to be more domestic. The cleaning, I'm good with, and the other "managing the household" chores. The cooking, however? Eeek! I'm terrible.

Tonight, I am making potato salad, something I actually know how to do, and fresh corn on the cob. I want to have chicken to go with it, but I have no idea what to do with it.

I would prefer to grill it, but we don't have a grill and I don't want to make a Wal-Mart one to buy one.

So, I'm going to cook it in the oven, I guess? How should I do this? What should I do to it first? Do I need to add liquid to my casserole dish? Should I put it in a bag? How do I get it to have flavor?

ETA: My stove is electric, and the broil feature kinda stinks. So I'm stuck with baking.

Any ideas will be greatly appreciated!

Myles_104 06-02-2010 11:42 AM

Re: Chicken in the oven? HELP!

When I cook it in the oven, I usually put a little liquid in the bottom of a roaster or something with a lid, cook it a bit lower temp, for a bit longer than usual (about 20 minutes per pound at 325*)
I usually put garlic in the water, and season the chicken.
Pretty easy, and turns out nice and juicy.

WhiteRockMom 06-02-2010 11:51 AM

Are you cooking a whole chicken or chicken pieces? Bone in or boneless?

keonli 06-02-2010 12:25 PM

Whole chicken -

Season with whatever you want, maybe rub a bit of butter on the outside and under the skin if you want it very moist. Then put in a baking dish or something similar, cover with foil, and bake at 350F. How long depends on how big the chicken is.

You can do the same with chicken pieces as well.

Ambivalent Dreams 06-02-2010 12:41 PM

I take a whole chicken, cover it in salt and pepper and throw it in a dutch oven. Then I add 1/2 cup to 1 cup of water and maybe 3-4 tbsp of butter to the pot. Cover and bake at 350.

Super easy and yummy.

WhiteRockMom 06-02-2010 12:53 PM

If its a whole chicken I stuff it with garlic, thyme, sage, rosemary, and a lemon (cut up so it fits). Then put in a roasting pan or dutch over. I start my roasting at a low temp (325) and them raise it after half an hour to 375 (I think... its been so long). Sometimes I mix some fresh herbs with butter and smoosh it under the skin. Always season the skin with salt and pepper.

Roasting time depends on the size of the bird.

I dont usually add any liquid to the pan but I have put chicken broth in and it turned out great!

Good luck!

L J 06-02-2010 01:30 PM

Oh, I should have added that part, huh? I have boneless, skinless breasts.

What is a dutch oven?

keonli 06-02-2010 01:42 PM

Dutch oven is a big pot, usually made from cast iron, I believe.

Here's a link: http://www.google.com/products/catal...d=0CDwQ8gIwAw#

kezoo 06-02-2010 01:48 PM

A really easy baked chicken recipe: Bombay Chicken on Recipezaar.com I don't know if it'll go all that well w/ potato salad & corn on the cob though!! Perhaps search on recipezaar for baked chicken and you'll probably get a ton of recipes.

minxiemama 06-03-2010 01:18 PM

You could also cook the chicken in a skillet. Add a tsp of oil in skillet, add the breasts, flip and cook other side until a meat thermometer register 165. Then I would take some chicken broth or white wine or lemon juice to deglaze the pan, add onion or garlic or dried herbs and scrape up the browned bits to create a sauce!