Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Jack has hives from strawberries (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=99972)

Fither 02-17-2007 06:20 PM

Jack has hives from strawberries

i feel so unbelievably bad for him :cry: it is so heartbreaking. he's taking it very well, but sometimes they're everywhere! i gave him a strawberry at breakfast for a special treat on his birthday, and the next morning he woke up with a hive on his bottom, then there was one of his face, then they were everywhere :(

so he's had them for two days, sometimes there are none, other times he has like twenty. and of course i feel terrible b/c he didn't feel as good for his birthday party as he normally would have.

is there anything else i can do for him besides giving him the children's bendryl?

Kylie&Logan'sMommy 02-17-2007 06:32 PM

Re: Jack has hives from strawberries

that happened the 1st time i gave them to kylie. I was besides myself. :hugs: momma

I did accidentaly give them to her 6 months later:banghead: we were out and i had a smoothy and she wanted it LOL well she was fine, so it was one of those things they grow out of thank goodness.

poor baby :hugs:

yellowcampcat 02-17-2007 07:45 PM

I think strawberries are a pretty common allergen. No advice other than the benadryl...is it working?:hugs:

Fither 02-17-2007 07:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yellowcampcat (Post 736304)
I think strawberries are a pretty common allergen. No advice other than the benadryl...is it working?:hugs:

i do think that it works somewhat. he was covered in them this morning when he woke up at six, so it had been nine hours since his last dose. i gave him 1/2 tsp and then they were back to just a few here and there.

we've been giving it to him every six hours, but then today, after five hours, his face was COVERED in them, so i gave him another dose. it looked better really quickly.

i just wish it would make them all go away....and never come back.

Adamsmama 02-17-2007 08:44 PM

(((HUGS))) My kids both have food allergies--but my youngest gets really bad ezcema to certain foods. We had him allergy tested and he can't have any strawberries, either. (He had been eating them all Summer, too--I felt so bad and had no idea that was causing his skin to get red and itchy). He also can't have chocolate...he gets a rash on his cheeks, legs, and bum. On Christmas Eve when my oldest was almost 2 I put Burt's Bees lotion on him (baby lotion--the buttermilk kind) because I love the smell and thought it would be nice after his bath to make him smell good for Christmas morning, etc. Well...he woke up looking like he had a sunburn everywhere the lotion had touched. Needless to say, we later realized he is allergic to milk/milk products...and I felt horrible!!!!

Also, my dr. prescribed Zyrtec for DS2 ezcema--if your son keeps breaking out, you might want to try that--it has made a huge difference for him.

Mommy2Triplets 02-17-2007 08:52 PM

It happened to Kaylee when I first gave her pineapple, I used oatmeal Aveno Baby all over her skin 4 times daily or more and bathed her in the bath mix, not only did it seem to sooth her but they went away fearly quickly, Good Luck Mama!

Fither 02-17-2007 09:13 PM

thanks mamas :goodvibes:

i think i'm going to try giving him an oatmeal bath tomorrow when they start looking bad. i'm going to google it and see if i can find a good recipe.

i was so excited to be able to give him strawberries b/c they are one of my all time favorites and i wanted to share that with him :(

AmyEm 02-17-2007 09:47 PM

My nephew was allergic to strawberries too. He did outgrow his allergy eventually though.

Hugs mama! I hope he is feeling better soon!

mom3girls 02-17-2007 10:22 PM

if you have some oatmeal just put it in your blender and blend it into a powder, then add it to the bath water , I do it all the time for my DD how has bad exema and it really works and its way cheaper then the store bought bath treatment.

Hope he is feeling better soon!

travelinmom 02-18-2007 01:56 AM

Isn't two days a little long for a food allergy to have them keep popping up? I I read correctly he is continuing to get new bumps? The strawberries should be out of his system while it may take awhile for the rash to clear it shouldn't still be getting worse. Does he have any other symptoms? did you talk to your doctor? Could not be food allergies...not a doc here but seems kind of odd.