View Single Post
Old 04-16-2010, 09:27 AM   #1
Bear Family
Registered Users
seller

Please help with my 6yo dd

I have never posted on this board before but I really need opinions...Yesterday was terrible.

Jera is 6, in 1st grade. A pretty well behaved child, but for the past few months I dunno, she has just decided that she can disobey me, rude attitude, tell me "no" and with anger. She is never like this with dh, but he is gone a lot working, which is nothing new. I also work, but I am home 1/2 hr after she gets out of school. SHe has gone through a few life changes lately, baby brother last July, her bff moved in January.

Yesterday, it was nice when we got home so we went to the park. We walked down the street to get her new frind that just moved to our street about a month ago, they are in the same class. And we all headed to the park about 2 blocks away. We were not there 10 minutes and she was climbing up the side of the twisty slide and her feet were dangling. She almost kicked a little boy in the head. I told her to get down, she said no. I told her to come her (I was sitting on a bench about 10 ft away) she said no. I got up to go get here and she ran. I stopped, told her I was not chasing her and that she needed to get over here right now. She did...I sat her on the bench, told her to stay there till she can behave properly. She screamed NO!, I dont want to..I told her she could behave, or we could leave. She kicked Jaxon's stroller. I grabbed her hand, said we are leaving. (the friends mom was there by this time) I pushed the stroller with 1 hand, and her bike with the other and made her walk home. The whole way home she is screaming, yelling, kicking the bushes, trying to grab the stroller and turn it around. Telling me that when she got home she was gonna go to her room and watch cartoons, then 5 seconds later she would say, more calm, "ok, I am fine now, I want to go back to the park" I would ignore her and she would get more mad and then start screaming again.

We got home and I spanked her and put her in the corner, and I told her that she could stay there till her dad got home. That I was so disapointed and embarressed by her actions and bad choices. dh didn't end up getting home for 2 hours. But by the time I knew he would be late (traffic), since I had said it I didn't want to not follow through, kwim?

I didn't even cook dinner I was still so mad, I made her some oatmeal and a peice of toast and a glass of water and brought it to her and she ate it in the corner.

Ugh, I am just so upset about it. I seriously felt like I had ZERO control over her yesterday and she embarressed me horribly, there were like 5 other moms at the park. I keep scouring the baords looking for similar posts, thinking maybe there is something wrong with her, something wrong with me, am I a terrible parent, so many thoughts.

I wanted to add, spanking is not something we do often (but we have done it) it is not my go way to handle a situation. This was by far the worst day of her attitude and that was the last resort.

Any advice, or even similar stories so I can see I am not the only one. Sorry this got so long, but I just needed to get it out.
to you for reading this whole thing.

Bear Family is offline   Reply With Quote