View Single Post
Old 04-16-2010, 09:38 AM   #2
massbb2
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Please help with my 6yo dd

Having a similarly stubborn 6 yo ds myself, I can relate to your frustration.

It's hard being in the moment and knowing if we've made the right decisions disciplining our children. We're you reacting when she acted inappropriately on the slide? Could you have talked to her instead of at her about it? I don't know. I know if I react (and believe me, I do sometimes), it only winds my ds up even more.

When she calmed down and wanted to go back to the park. Did you have time do? In the end, teaching a lesson is far more important than punishment. If you didn't have time, perhaps offer to play outside for a little bit and go back to the park tomorrow. Spanking her AFTER she calmed down doesn't seem appropriate to me at all. But, spanking in general, I don't agree with.

One thing I do with my children is tell them it is never too late to turn their attitudes around. Otherwise, at that point, why would they bother if they are already being punished. KWIM?

Get to the library and take out Proactive Parenting, Beyond Punishment and Rewards. She talks a lot about getting one step ahead of our children.

HTH.