View Single Post
Old 04-16-2010, 09:52 PM   #1
idigchaitea
Registered Users
seller

The pacifier's outta here!

My son will be 3 in May and has had his "puggy" since he was born. It's a major comfort item for him. I wanted it to be gone by the time he turned 3 just because he will be going to preschool in the fall. We tried to gradually remove it last week--only giving it to him during naps/night time. Well that failed pretty quickly because he kept asking for it knowing that it was still around. We kind of gave up.

Then on Monday he came up to us and said, "Don't throw puggy in the trash!" Which in his language means, "I threw the puggy in the trash!" Sure enough, it was in the trash can and there was no way I was going to dig it out, clean it up, and give it to him. We decided this was the perfect opportunity to go cold turkey. He kept asking for it during the day, but all we had to do was remind him that he threw it away. The night was a bit rough. He woke up in the middle of the night crying and wanting us to sleep with him. So we've been taking turns doing that for a few nights. Last night was the first night that he slept alone without it. He doesn't even ask about it anymore and it's only been 5 days!

This has been much easier than I thought. I've been dreading giving up the pacifier for a long time because it's a lifesaver for us. I just wanted to share our success with everyone.
*28 year old mama to Josiah Liam, born 05.19.2007, Jonas Elliot, my dove in heaven, stillborn at 40 weeks 03.12.2009* www.jonaselliot.blogspot.com , and my rainbow baby Julien Reese 11.04.2010 *Married to Zac 06.11.2005*
idigchaitea is offline   Reply With Quote