View Single Post
Old 05-19-2010, 02:09 PM   #1
ao2swifey
Registered Users

My Mood:
Benign Neonatal Sleep Myoclonus

Hi.... my daughter was born August 16th, 2009. She was a very healthy happy baby. I took her home the next day. Hubby was deployed to the middle east. On the third day, August 19th, she started jerking in her sleep. It looked like a siezure. It only happened while she was sleeping. I took her to the ER. they said it was normal and it was called baby jerks. Went home. All through the night she continued to jerk/twitch. I took her back to the er. A different hospital. Again, its normal. Then I took her to her pediatrician. I had to see a PA. She said the same thing. 2 more days go by and it starts to get worst. After 2 more ER visits I call her pediatricians office and demand to she her pediatrician that evening. He looks at her and says something is wrong. By now it is day 7 of her life. I have had no sleep. I was a walking zombie. He calls the nearest childrens hospital and gets us in late that evening. It was only a 2 hours away. I take my son to DH's boss's house and drive to Charleston. We get there and they do test and an EEG. the EEG shows no seizure like activity. 2 days and more testing they conclude it is Benign Neonatal Sleep Myoclonus. here is the medical defenition:::

Benign neonatal sleep myoclonus (BNSM) is a selflimiting
disorder characterized by neonatal onset
myoclonic jerks during non-rapid eye movement
(NREM) sleep, and consistent cessation with arousal
with absence of concomitant electroencephalographic
findings.

They sent us home. I was terrified. They Navy would not send DH home because she was not in immediate danger. The neurologist said it would go away by 6 months. After a very long 4 months she no longer had the jerks. She is now a healty happy 9 month old sweet baby girl. there are no lasting effects from BNSM. I wanted to share my story incase anyone notices their baby having these signs. If so go to the nearest children's hospital or ER and ask for an EEG. You need this to determine that there is no seizure activity. I am attaching a video of Isabella during one of her episodes. Please PM me if you have any questions. Thanks for ready our story.

Kristi

ao2swifey is offline   Reply With Quote