Old 06-14-2006, 10:40 AM   #59
Shannon
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: What to call private parts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsott
Discretion YES. Biology YES. I am just saying, no need to be shy about it or ignore it. Males have penises and females have vaginas. These are facts. It is science. No need for mystification. It is what it is. To not call it what it is, seems fallacious to me. Do you call your boob (since most of you breastfeed) something "petname" like?? It is a mammary gland.... all mammals have them. I tell my daughter that she is to cross her legs if she has a skirt/dress on, and her punishment is no skirts. She follows this because she wants to be appropriate and respectable. Plus she aspires to be like her mom. Set an example. We have graphic encyclopedias for children, and she can see pictures of anatomy. She knows her baby sister was in my uterus, and came out via my birth canal. We teach things through their evolutionary significance, the selecitive pressures that generated these structures.

I find the way you are "speaking" to me to be very intolerant and judgemental. You're way is YOUR way...not mine. There is no mystification...there is no secrecy. I'm not too worried about my little babies learning science right now. In due time they also will learn the proper terms for their private areas. IMO now is not that time. With your reasoning, which I dont' agree with for me, you would then call poop, feces and pee urine..right? science terms for EVERYTHING would be the only way it would hold water for me. You can't really pick and choice what to use the scientific term for and be consistant in a debate on it. Do you teach your child each part of their eye structure or do you just call it an eye? Eye alone is misleading in the same line of thinking since there are many different parts of each eye. Now, I know I'm stretching things out a bit here but what I'm trying to say is simply, to validly use a science approach IMO you'd have to follow that way for everything. And just because I don't do it your way DOESN'T make my way wrong.

Marrying my wonderful Fiancee' Rodney on 6/26/20010
[/COLOR]Expecting to TTC in July 2010
Shannon is offline   Reply With Quote