Thread: Chores
View Single Post
Old 06-14-2006, 06:02 PM   #17
jls~Kain~Drake
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: Chores

I don't have my 2.5 yr old do anything yet...should I be? Reading this thread I feel like I'm slacking!

I wish my mom would've required more out of me. Mom was the type where everything has its place...and the house was embarassingly dirty if the newspaper was on the couch, ya know? But she didn't really make me do anything. I remember having to make my bed and clean my playroom (throwing everything haphazardly into toy boxes)...and on a rare occasion the dishes. Late elementary school I learned how to mow...and had to do that regularly...then my parents divorced (9th grade) and I lived with my dad...had to do EVERYTHING. Laundry, dishes, bathrooms, entire house except his room, mowing, weedeating, dog poo, you name it! I think at moms I just had to keep my room in some kind of decent shape. As for now..I'm 24yo..dh and I own our own home...I do everything. Laundry, dishes, 80% of the cooking, all the yard work except for trimming trees because he's a goob and likes to climb, work on cars...whether it be changing something I can change or making the appt and taking it wherever for whatever, *all* the house cleaning, everything regarding the children, everything regarding the dog...and I even have to make his dr appts AND take him. I even drove myself to the hospital in labor at 5am and him sleeping in the pssngr seat - but that's a whole other thread! Oh, and because he couldn't watch the 2yo & carry the rundown/in pieces picnic table to the brush pile...I mowed (walking, not a rider) with the 2yo on my shoulders or hip for 1/2 of our large yard. And to clarify in case it soundslike I was putting him in danger - he was safe & secure But he *is* 35lbs or more...it was quite a chore. And I'm sure it was much easier for me than it would've been for dh to watch him while he moved the picnic table (straight line from pt A to pt B)

SO, what should I be teaching my 2yo and what should I expect him to understand? He's really smart but I find my self saying, well he's too young for that so I won't even try.

Last edited by jls~Kain~Drake; 06-14-2006 at 06:04 PM.
jls~Kain~Drake is offline   Reply With Quote