View Single Post
Old 06-13-2010, 05:25 PM   #21
me_just_me
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: another one...can your 4 year old ride a bike?

Quote:
Originally Posted by z2akids View Post
Sorry to hijack

I've read a lot about balance bikes recently. Does anyone have any idea whether they help with learning to ride a 2 wheeled bicycle? In my experience, the biggest problem with learning to ride was the peddling and getting the leg strength to peddle.
Well my DD got a bike with training wheels for her 2nd birthday. She was still too short to use it easily so we put it up for a few months. Once she was tall enough for it we took it down and there was no way she could pedal it - that is hard work and the coordination required takes work! So we took her bike brought it inside, put the metal "L" of the training wheels up on wooden blocks so that the back wheel of the bike was just off the floor. She then was able to practice how to pedal without the difficulty of the resistance of the ground. Once she could pedal easily this way, we took the bike out side and she got better and better! The first day she could go on a flat surface, and by the next she was able to go up slight inclines. It took longer for her to be able to go up hills or start from a stand still. She got so fast on it that we had to put it away because she kept falling over during turns (training wheels are so dangerous because of this IMO) We got her a balance bike this April (this is what we wanted her to get originally) and she figured out how to balance within the first day! She does really well on it and can ride FOREVER! Now that she has the pedaling, steering and balance all learned, I'm sure she will figure out how to ride a 2 wheeler pretty quickly when we take the training wheels off. I would totally recommend a balance bike as a great way to learn to ride a bike! Oh, and my DD is still two year old!