Old 06-13-2010, 09:17 PM   #49
HeatherlovesCDs
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Devastated at my poor supervision of my kids

Quote:
Originally Posted by aecryan View Post
See, that is just it. I have taught them water safety. They know not to get in without my permission and certainly not without their safety devices. I am telling you, this all happened in a matter of 10 seconds.

In the future, I am not taking all 3 of them to a pool by myself anymore... even when they can swim. Too much going on to keep track of them all the time.
I had something happen last summer that scared me to death and I won't take mine by myself anymore. Last summer, I had 3. My oldest was 3.5 and the twins were 1.5. We went to a friends pool in her backyard. I had them all in floaty rafts. I was keeping all the rafts close to me. But, then one of them wanted to play on the steps. I let him out and was watching/holding him. I got totally distracted. I suddenly realized I had let my DD (1.5 years old) float away in her raft. I had no idea where she was or how long she had been out of my reach. I freaked out. I had a vision of her on the bottom of the pool. It was a small pool, but I couldn't find her for a minute. Her raft had floated over to the other side of the pool and mixed in among a few other empty rafts. There were other mothers with kids there too. I was so scared and so embarrassed too. The guilt was overwhelming and I couldn't stop thinking about it for days. I haven't gone without another adult specifically to help me since. It's just not worth it. Now, I have 5 kids 4 and under since I had another set of twins 9wks ago. My kids love the pool, but it just won't be happening very often.