View Single Post
Old 06-14-2006, 09:03 PM   #62
mrsott
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: What to call private parts?

I am in no way criticizing anyones method of parenting... privates is definately appropriate, b/c it is a private area.... I was sharing the way we do things, and really it is the "wee wee" or "chachi" that I think is ubsurd to call a body part. Regarding the eye comment, yes, we do break down the various structures of the eye. Our 4 yr old talks about this all the time, trying to understand why she can see. We get questions all the time from her, asking how various parts of her body or systems work. And we break it down for her. She has dictionaries and numerous encyclopedias that she uses on her own and LOVES to read.... it has been encorporated as an answer to "What do you want to play??" I am in no belittling the way anyone does anything... just giving our methodologies. Not stepping on anyones toes I hope.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shannon
I find the way you are "speaking" to me to be very intolerant and judgemental. You're way is YOUR way...not mine. There is no mystification...there is no secrecy. I'm not too worried about my little babies learning science right now. In due time they also will learn the proper terms for their private areas. IMO now is not that time. With your reasoning, which I dont' agree with for me, you would then call poop, feces and pee urine..right? science terms for EVERYTHING would be the only way it would hold water for me. You can't really pick and choice what to use the scientific term for and be consistant in a debate on it. Do you teach your child each part of their eye structure or do you just call it an eye? Eye alone is misleading in the same line of thinking since there are many different parts of each eye. Now, I know I'm stretching things out a bit here but what I'm trying to say is simply, to validly use a science approach IMO you'd have to follow that way for everything. And just because I don't do it your way DOESN'T make my way wrong.
mrsott is offline   Reply With Quote