BookishMama
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Pediatrician criticized me for nursing past one year *an UPDATE*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fither View Post
ok mamas, i received this letter in the mail today. i'm just dying to hear what you all have to say about it....i don't think i even need to write what i have to say......

Dear Ms. Fither:

As Chairman of the Department of Pediatrics, I have been asked to provide a response and further information to you regarding the concern you shared with the Action Line. During that visit, you discussed with Dr. xxxxx benefits relating breastfeeding of various durations. I believe there may have been a miscommunication or misunderstanding and will relate critical issues sounding health and the duration of breastfeeding. Dr. xxxxx understood the question to relate to known benefits of breastfeeding.

In a first world environment such as the majority of those in the United States, the critical benefits of breastfeeding have been clearly demonstrated during the first six months of life. There may well be benefits observable during the first 12 months of life. These recommendations have to do with proven health benefits and do not comment on the social/emotional issues surrounding duration of breastfeeding. You related information from the World Health Organization. These recommendations relate to issues prominent in the Third World. Prolonged breastfeeding in this situation has been shown to have health and nutritional benefits, as well as increasing the probability of an increased duration of time between pregnancies, which also relate to health benefits for the child. In the Third World, alternative feeding routes that involve artificial feedings have been shown to result in health detriments such as those relating to bacterial contamination and/or inappropriate reconstitution of formulas that are used.

Those benefits demonstrable in the Third World have not been shown under rigorous scientific review to be directly applicable to environments where refigeration, other health issues, and related financial issues are less significant.

I regret the misunderstanding that occurred during your conversation. Indeed both sets of information have validity and applicability relating to scientific environments and situations that are being considered.

Sincerely yours,

Dr. xxxxxx
Pediatric Gastroenterology & Nutrition
Associate Professor of Pediatrics
Pediatrics/Foods & Nutrition
University of xxxxxxxx

***i would just like to remind everyone, that THERE WAS NO QUESTION. i have no need to ask her about the benefits of extended breastfeeding as i'm already EDUCATED on that!***

i am, of course, going to be writing a letter back. i just have to decide what i'm going to say. i'm also going to contact my local le leche league leader, as well as take advantage of my position within my health care masters program, and get the contact info for a representative from the World Health Organization.

*sigh* it would have been so much easier if they would have apologized and admitted the mistake.
Mama, since this came from a University affiliated doc I would find out if the University has a medical library that is accessible to the public. If so you might be able to get assistance from a medical librarian in reviewing the literature on extended breastfeeding.

I will tell you what my MD Pediatrician IBCLC breastfeeding researcher told me about medical school training in the past in regard to the function of breasts: she said the only thing most doctors learned about breasts in medical school was about breast cancer. They learned not a single thing about lactation.

I find it laughable that in a country that has astronomical rates of obesity and correlated diseases such as diabetes, heart disease, etc, that a doctor would suggest that the WHO guidelines apply only to those toddlers who live in third world countries.
DS (6), DD (Born 2/15/2010)

Last edited by BookishMama; 07-08-2010 at 10:16 PM.
BookishMama is offline   Reply With Quote